Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, first post, running on 2.6.21-gentoo-r2. i've been trying to install the afformentioned wireless usb card ( 5041:2234 ). I've read it's supported by the prism54G driver. I've emerged ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linksys WUSB54G, card not found by iwconfig

Hi all, first post, running on 2.6.21-gentoo-r2.

i've been trying to install the afformentioned wireless usb card ( 5041:2234 ). I've read it's supported by the prism54G driver.

I've emerged prism54-firmware. On emerging prism54 I was told to use the kernel version, which I've built as the module prism54.ko.

I can load the kernel module using modprobe, dmesg states "Loaded prism54 driver, version 1.2". I don't want to use ndiswrapper (long story

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob.

I just did a locate on this Ubuntu machine for prism54.ko and it says it's already built into the kernel on kenrel version 2.6.17-10 and 2.8.17-11. I'm using their kernel - 2.6.20-16 and it is NOT included. Makes me wonder why...

Just some random thoughts:

Have tried pugging in the device AFTER doing modprobe? Does the device by chance show us when you do ifconfig? If and when it does come up, how is it supposed to be assigned? As eth1?

EDIT: Upon further reading, I see where at prism54g.org, they say the regular driver will not work with USB, and you are directed to this page. Is that what you emerged? Or are you trying to use the stock driver included in the base Linux kernel?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thanks Dan.

Tried replugging the adaptor, nothing shows up on dmesg. I've tried using the freemac instructions on the page you mentioned, but I get the error below when hitting "make load". ifconfig produces no mention of any wireless cards.

Gentoo uses a program called emerge much in the same way the ubuntu uses apt-get. IT downloads and compiles the software. Emerging prism54 results in an error saying "use the kernel version".

According to two sites I've seen, it's the prism chipset. Version four of this adapter uses ralink drivers, which i've tried (rt2570, rt2500, rt73).

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

localhost prism54-project # make load
    test ! -d src/madwifi-bsd/net80211 || \
    make -C src/madwifi-bsd/net80211
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/prism54-project/src/madwifi-bsd/net80211'
    make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.21-gentoo-r2 SUBDIRS=/usr/src/prism54-project/src/madwifi-bsd/net80211 MODVERDIR=/usr/src/prism54-project/src/madwifi-bsd/net80211/../symbols modules
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.21-gentoo-r2'
    CC [M] /usr/src/prism54-project/src/madwifi-bsd/net80211/if_media.o
    In file included from include/linux/compiler-gcc4.h:4,
    from include/linux/compiler.h:42,
    from include/linux/stddef.h:4,
    from include/linux/posix_types.h:4,
    from include/linux/types.h:14,
    from include/asm/mmx.h:8,
    from include/asm/page.h:18,
    from /usr/src/prism54-project/src/madwifi-bsd/net80211/../include/compat.h:71,
    from <command line>:1:
    include/linux/compiler-gcc.h:30:1: warning: "__packed" redefined
    In file included from <command line>:1:
    /usr/src/prism54-project/src/madwifi-bsd/net80211/../include/compat.h:55:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    /usr/src/prism54-project/src/madwifi-bsd/net80211/if_media.c:54:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from include/asm/system.h:4,
    from include/asm/processor.h:18,
    from include/asm/thread_info.h:16,
    from include/linux/thread_info.h:21,
    from include/linux/preempt.h:9,
    from include/linux/spinlock.h:49,
    from include/linux/module.h:9,
    from /usr/src/prism54-project/src/madwifi-bsd/net80211/if_media.c:56:
    include/linux/kernel.h:41:1: warning: "roundup" redefined
    In file included from <command line>:1:
    /usr/src/prism54-project/src/madwifi-bsd/net80211/../include/compat.h:46:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    make[3]: *** [/usr/src/prism54-project/src/madwifi-bsd/net80211/if_media.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/src/prism54-project/src/madwifi-bsd/net80211] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.21-gentoo-r2'
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/prism54-project/src/madwifi-bsd/net80211'
    make: *** [madwifi] Error 2

I'm confused... Seeing "madwifi' all through the code. I may be mistaken, but I though madwifi was for atheros based chipsets and you are using prism54.

Just Joined!
    EDIT: needed to create /usr/src/linux/include/linux/config.h to get past that.

The module compiled ok, I ran "make install", have no idea what the module is called.

I think they're using teh madwifi network stack. That's defiantly the prisim site, it unpacks the source code into "prism-project". It's definatly the prism chipset as well.

(READ EDIT): The newer kernels have dropped config.h, hence the module build crashes when it references it to compile. Is there any hack for this, or a replacement config.h?

Rob.

Maybe reconsider ndiswrapper?

Sorry I couldn't help more...