Find the answer to your Linux question:
i tried to swith to gentoo after using ubuntu because ubuntu always froze my pc. so firstly, would installing gentoo do the same as ubuntu did? ok, now ive tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy i cant install gentoo

i tried to swith to gentoo after using ubuntu because ubuntu always froze my pc. so firstly, would installing gentoo do the same as ubuntu did?

ok, now ive tried installing gentoo on a dual boot now twice with no luck. it gets to the point where its loading and you have the logo, it says gentoo 2007 and it has a bar with the perventage thast loaded, and thast as far as ive got just when i think its about to take me to the login page,it takes me to a black screen with a message sayin 'failed to start x server (your digital graphics card). im using ATI Radeon...(ive forgotton which series lol) and then it says restart cmd and retry, and it then takes me to a screen telling me why it wont instal. after that i have to do a power restart.

so im calling out to all the linux nuts out their to shed some of their linux magic my way...i need all the linuxmagic i can get right now lol

anyways any help would be great thanks
    Last edited by wilky; 08-09-2007 at 03:57 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wilky View Post
    i tried to swith to gentoo after using ubuntu because ubuntu always froze my pc. so firstly, would installing gentoo do the same as ubuntu did?:
    i forgot to mention that after giving up hope on ubuntu i did a fresh install of win xp and i hadnt installed all the updates and stuff when trying to install gentoo, will that have anything to do with my problem?

The windows partition will have nothing to do with your linux install. Nothing.

I suggest going to Gentoo Linux -- Gentoo Linux News, read the handbook (print it out if need be), and then download the minimal install cd and install it with the command line. The gui installer is buggy and doesn't work most of the time.

If you really don't like that, then try Sabayon. It is based on gentoo, and uses gui's for everything I think.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks for ur help but im nor sure which sabayon to download...is it the sabayon x86 3.3b mini?

oz
    forum.guy
    I think the latest full version is 3.4e

It's pretty big and has to go on a DVD.

Yes, x86 is right for 32-bit.
    oz