Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi there , i want to install Gentoo on my Ps3 ( to be said that i'm a total NOOB concerning Linux ) ... i've folowed this tutorial to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Help GENTOO INSTALLATION !

hi there , i want to install Gentoo on my Ps3 ( to be said that i'm a total NOOB concerning Linux ) ...
    i've folowed this tutorial to the part that it says "Live ~# : WGET http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental..." that's where i get an error saying " Cannot resolve name ... " or something like that ...
    i've enabled the DHCP on my ADSL modem , and noticed that during the Booting , ( the Page with lots of "OK" going down ) it says OBTAINED IP ... but it doesnot ping the ModemsIP or any website ...

so what i need help for is , is there a way to setup manually an Ip address for my Wired Connection on the Ps3 , Subnet mask , and a Default gateway , so that it might download the needed file. ( is there a way to do that )

i've downloaded the file to my Pc , cause it says ( on the Tutorial ) : " if you do have a slow internet connection try downloading it before the installation then copying it .... " but how can i do that ? from where ? using FlashUSB ? Memstick ? to where ? ( my Memstick and FlashUSB are Fat32 , how are they going to be recognized under Linux ) ?

Thanks in advance .

Check your /etc/resolv.conf file, it should have a nameserver line similar to this.
    more /etc/resolv.conf
    # Generated by dhcpcd for interface ath0
    search Belkin
    nameserver 192.168.2.1
    i've downloaded the file to my Pc , cause it says ( on the Tutorial ) : " if you do have a slow internet connection try downloading it before the installation then copying it .... " but how can i do that ? from where ? using FlashUSB ? Memstick ? to where ? ( my Memstick and FlashUSB are Fat32 , how are they going to be recognized under Linux ) ?
    From the tutorial it says,
    If already downloaded in advance, copy the file to /mnt/gentoo now)
    Can you copy the stage4 to a CD, then transfer it to Gentoo? I don't think USB will work yet, because you haven't gotten that far into the installation.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    won't it cause any problem to eject the LiveCd and insert another one , do the copy and then reinsert the Live CD ?
    and , how should i Proceed ? i mean what are the commands to do such a thing , ( Copying a file from The CDROM to a specific Folder /mnt/Gentoo ) ?
    Thx ( if possible can u tell me the exact command , cause i don't even know what is my cdrom called Under Linux ... ! )

and no way to configure Ip and default gateway manually ? ( i mean connecting to the internet without using DHCP )
    THX in advance !

Have a look at this link, it gives a little bit more info on booting to RAM, so you can remove the CD.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/gen...nternet-2.html

And yes, you can configure the internet manually, if you have the right packages installed already.
    ifconfig devicename up
    ifconfig devicename IPaddress
    devicename is usually eth0 or wlan0
    You can edit the /etc/conf.d/net file yourself but read the /etc/conf.d/net.example file for more info
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Ips set , Modem Pinged , But for the default gateway ? :-s :-s ( Links command do not open any page ) ( and it doesn't ping Google )
    Thx

EDIT ! => Problem Solved THX MIKE !

Just Joined!
    well now i have an error when wanting to download the file ( File ) using the WGET command , it keeps saying NAME OR SERVICE NOT KOWN .
    what should i do ?
    Thx
    Ps : using links i'm able to open Google and Yahoo , and also ping them , but the link above , No , even tried other links and miror of the same File with the same error .

Are you sure wget is installed at this point?
    Try this command and see if you get the right response
    wget --version
    GNU Wget 1.10.2

Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.

Originally written by Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@xemacs.org>.

Just Joined!
    yes , wget --version gives me the same thing that u typed ...

Well I don't understand what the problem is, Wget is installed, the Link you provided is a working valid link.
    Can you use wget to download any other files?

Just Joined!
    can i add the file ( since downloaded to PC already ) to the LIVECD ISO root , and reburn the CD ISO , restart the Installation with the new cd , and when asked for the file , instead of using WGET command , using a command to copy the file from the cdrom to /mnt/Gentoo ?
    and if yes what is the command to do such a thing => Copying the file From a CD to /mnt/Gentoo ...?
    Thx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast