Find the answer to your Linux question:
Nevermind, Sabayon's Gentoo. AHH!! who moved this?! Thanks, but I AM NOW SO CONFUSED!! heh.... Okay, so I'm installing Sabayon (or trying to... or have...), but I can't get it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Sabay savey? (GRUB problems)

Nevermind, Sabayon's Gentoo. AHH!! who moved this?! Thanks, but I AM NOW SO CONFUSED!! heh....

Okay, so I'm installing Sabayon (or trying to... or have...), but I can't get it to be nice to the BIOS. I think it's interperating the hard drives all wrong (handy thing --the BIOS lets me choose which disc to boot from w/o configuring jumpers or anything....). Whatever the case, it's not wanting to put GRUB in the right place, or at least not in the right way, to be used.
    Here's the skinny:
    I've gone through and installed GRUB to all three HDDs, which I didn't wanna do but it defaultly did so for the one I REALLY didn't want it to do to so I figured why not.
    By default it puts it on the SATA HDD, which is not supposed to boot AT ALL and is configured to boot last, if that somehow happens. When I reconfigure it ...looks weird, like it's interlaced on a noninterlaced monitor or severe static on a TV.
    When it boots in the order I want it to, being the master IDE ATA HDD (lol) it says it still has GRUB 1.5. That's no good. On top of the fact it should be erased, it gives me "Error 17," which is kinda pointless because I can't even edit GRUB from there.
    And the IDE slave gives me a very, very pretty black screen with a glowing light coming from the edges and a nice little blinky line in the top left corner. Id est, it goes no where.

Eh?
    This is one of those priority thingies since I have no access to anything until this works... which sucks because my Xbox comes in today (stupid Microsoft...) and I was going to get to listen to music very loudly over the surround sound.....

Please help?

--P.S. I got a temporary fix by further editing (via installation disc) the SATA GRUB MBR (Wow, I sure am using a lot of abbreviations...) so I can at least get to Vista, but I really, really, really want it to boot from the master IDE HDD. Not to mention that I can NOT get to Sabayon from there either. Help? Please?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    Nevermind, Sabayon's Gentoo. AHH!! who moved this?! Thanks, but I AM NOW SO CONFUSED!! heh....
    I moved it to Gentoo on your behalf...
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I moved it to Gentoo on your behalf...
    Muchas gracias senor Oz!

Oh, and I've kinda fixed the problem... but I still want responses if there are any.
    Here's how I fixed it:
    Way back when first getting this (shiny) computer ready to run, I called HP support and charmed the agent into telling me how to "recover" onto a different hard drive. It involved messing with BIOS a little, and physically disconnecting the SATA drive.
    So, I went in and did the same thing and it read the correct drives for /dev/sda and */sdb. After doing this for GRUB, I simply reconnected the SATA and it snapped back in line. Of course, I've got at least two functioning installments of GRUB 2.0 now....

Anyways, this is a little strange, to have to get into the physical adaptations of the computer to fix this, or at least I think so. That's why other ideas are still welcome.