Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! For somewhat related reasons I won't be able to read and respond to this thread as I usually do, but my dad has somehow screwed things up around here. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

stupid firewall

Hello! For somewhat related reasons I won't be able to read and respond to this thread as I usually do, but my dad has somehow screwed things up around here. For the longest, we've "had a firewall" up with out network stuff, all of which I leave to him to mess with, mainly 'cause he's "boss." Until I start paying for internet, it doesn't seem like I'll be able to convience him to just shut it off again, but the other day he was messing with some things and all of the sudden (in the middle of what I think was installing the package handler --I'm new to Sabayon and Gentoo, so I really don't know...) everything ran into a bri...I mean, a firewall. Hypothetically he'll be fixing this but I would like to know what ports he'd need to open for decent functionality of Sabayon (the latest stable release, 3.4a or something like that, I think). Please and thanks to all that can help.

You shouldn't need to open/forward any ports for just basic web functionality, for any OS. I suspect that dad has just goofed/overlooked something trivial.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    I suspect the same, but try conviencing him of that....
    Actually, I have web browsing capability, but I can't access things like The Mana World (a game), Pidgin's IM and IRC (or any IRC for that matter), and the like. I've found those ports via research, but the thing that made me realize it was when I was getting the package handler stuff going --it simply stopped, and ever since has been giving me server connection errors. Undoubtably from the firewall. Oh, and if there's any way you could think of that I can simply bypass the firewall without disconnecting from the network (I kinda need it to communicate with the other computers/xboxes, not to mention I can't disconnect the other computers) I would be very, very greatful. I'm more than willing to expose myself or be limited by my own computer's firewall.
    I can access the router, BTW; I just leave it to him for sanity's sake. And I don't "know" the password.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Are you fairly certain that it isn't the firewall on your machine, that's causing you grief? If you can surf the web, that means you aren't *blocked* by the router. If I put a block on one of my machines, it wouldn't get any network activity at all. I suppose the easiest way would be to ask dad to turn it off for 10 minutes, just to see if it will allow you to connect your IRC, Pidgin, etc.
    Are you using Gentoo and have you set up /etc/resolv.conf?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    I'm the stupid young type when it comes to security risks --I don't exactly think I'm invulnerable, but I don't much care. One of the first things I do is shut down or customize firewalls and such so that I can go and do anything I might want to do, even if I never actually would. But as far as the different firewalls, it's definitely my father's fault; aside from this personal preference, I more or less already convinced him (whined a lot) to change the settings, so now it's set on "low security" and now I'm capable of doing everything I have been doing --well, I don't know about Sabayon yet, because he just did this and I'm in the middle of downloading a big Xbox thing (taking a lot of bandwidth) as well as listening to the latest Bungie.net podcast (if I hadn't mentioned before, the only reason I have an Xbox 360 is for Halo 3... I'm a bit obsessive, sorry. On the plus side, that would translate to a good thing when I get "proficient" in Linux stuff, however long that might take).
    Ah! I digress alot. Anyways, I'll be going back to Sabayon in a matter of minutes (less than an hour), but en sum this lowering of the security is very temporary, so I'll have to find out what all ports I'll need to stay open once he screws it up again.
    As far as /etc/resolv.conf ... what's that? It sounds important, but it also might be something that Sabayon took care of already --I don't know.