Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi i just installed this the other day onto my compaq laptop using the text installation method(it wouldn't let me do the graphical or livecd O_o).when the installation was finally ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sabayon 3.4e login problem

hi i just installed this the other day onto my compaq laptop using the text installation method(it wouldn't let me do the graphical or livecd O_o).when the installation was finally complete and the computer rebooted it brings me automatically to the black screen terminal instead of giving me my login screen. i've logged into my account via the terminal and tried startx and kdm. nothing seems to happen. have a solution? i'm guessing it might be a graphics driver problem. i am new to all of this. @_@

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't know that this will work, but you could try booting the Sabayon LiveCD (GUI version), then copy and paste the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that we know works into your Sabayon hard drive installation. This is assuming that the graphical version will at least allow you to boot it on your machine.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    You could also try running xorgconfig as root to see if building a new xorg.conf file helps. I also just noticed that Sabayon 3.4f was released earlier today in case you want to try it.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I don't know that this will work, but you could try booting the Sabayon LiveCD (GUI version), then copy and paste the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that we know works into your Sabayon hard drive installation. This is assuming that the graphical version will at least allow you to boot it on your machine.
    it wont even allow me to boot the live cd.as far as i can get to gui is the boot screen.

You could also try running xorgconfig as root to see if building a new xorg.conf file helps. I also just noticed that Sabayon 3.4f was released earlier today in case you want to try it.
    not quite sure how to do this.

at any rate i used to run ubuntu with no problems on this laptop, but i just tried open suse and debian to no avail, same not showing video after installation thing. i will try ubuntu just to see what happens now...

as for sabayon 3.4f i'm downloading it, hopefully it will fix it. ^^;;;

Next time you get to the black login screen, login as root and edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with this command
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    In the section "Device" Change whatever is listed to vesa
    like this
    Code:
    section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Becomes
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "vesa"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Use Ctrl X, to exit, Y to save, now you should be able to reboot and see a login screen
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Next time you get to the black login screen, login as root and edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with this command
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    In the section "Device" Change whatever is listed to vesa
    like this
    Code:
    section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Becomes
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "vesa"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Use Ctrl X, to exit, Y to save, now you should be able to reboot and see a login screen
    alright i did this and it seemed to fix a yellow error message i saw with the ok s at the startup. however, nothing has changed with this problem. i am still getting the black screen with text. i tried startx and kdm as well.

It could be the monitor settings in the same file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, do you have the manual that came with your monitor? It should list the Hsync and Vsync settings, which you can enter under the "Screen Section". I would give this a try and if it fails then try using the xorgconfig command from the terminal as root. (As suggested by ozar)
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    okay i couldn't find the manual in my house, but i did find the pdf version on some archive site. i didn't know where to look. here is the file:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/c4u25v

at the moment i will try to xorgconfig

oz
    forum.guy
    Note that you'll need the information about your monitor, video card, keyboard, mouse, etc, before you run xorgconfig because it's a script that runs and sets up a working (hopefully) xorg.conf file. It will ask questions about each of those things, then create the file for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    successful. i just sort of winged it and looked at the general computer specs from an online store and got it up and running, thanks a lot for your help guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast