Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've tried linux a few times and have always gone back to windows, it seems that every distro i try i just cant install software... like when you get .tar.bz2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cant compile ..

i've tried linux a few times and have always gone back to windows, it seems that every distro i try i just cant install software...

like when you get .tar.bz2

i unpack it

then type ./configure

make

make install

and it never works its always complaining about error this and missing that

i am obiously doing something wrong but as i am a total noob lol cant seem to see what it is ... do i need to get distro specific software?- i have sabayon

if any one can push me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.. i want to use Linux but am at a dead end.

ohhh and if anyone could tell me how i can increase my screen resolution passed 1024x768 its too big for meee !

thanks very much if anyone can help

Well as a new user, I can definitely understand your frustration! You are trying to install packages without any sort of dependency resolution. That would make me pull my hair out too.

That's why there is for Sabayon, Gentoo package management that solves dependencies for you. You don't have to do it the hard way like you are doing. Have a look at this:
    Link
    It's so much easier to just do:
    Code:
    emerge mplayer
    ...once you know how to use it. Give it a try, and I think it will eliminate most of your frustrations.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 09-17-2007 at 10:36 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here