Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Sabayon 3.4f (a Gentoo variation), and I get an error every time I try to emerge new packages. The error I get refers to dev-perl/Tk-JPEG-Lite2.01403 (which I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

emerge errors after Sabayon install

I have installed Sabayon 3.4f (a Gentoo variation), and I get an error every time I try to emerge new packages.
    The error I get refers to dev-perl/Tk-JPEG-Lite2.01403 (which I am not emerging, but must be a dependency)
    I have searched for a solution, and have tried one solution that said to emerge libperl and perl with --nodep (but afterward I still get the emerge error with other packages). Other matches said to not use stage 1,2,3, but I have already installed the main system, and I am trying to emerge additional packages.
    Here is the full error (starting with emerge command):
    # emerge x11-misc/xfractint x11-misc/xfishtank x11-drivers/xf86-video-ivtvdev x11-plugins/wmfortune x11-misc/electricsheep media-tv/xdtv media-sound/shorten media-sound/shntool media-fonts/freefont-ttf media-video/dvgrab games-strategy/wormux x11-misc/vym x11-misc/fraqtive media-tv/v4l-dvb-hg media-tv/ktvschedule media-video/streamdvd games-action/heretic2
    Calculating dependencies... done!
    >>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...
    >>> starting parallel fetching

>>> Emerging (1 of 20) dev-perl/Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403 to /
    * Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403.tar.gz RMD160 ... [ ok ]
    * Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403.tar.gz SHA1 ... [ ok ]
    * Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403.tar.gz SHA256 ... [ ok ]
    * Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403.tar.gz size ... [ ok ]
    * checking ebuild checksums ... [ ok ]
    * checking auxfile checksums ... [ ok ]
    * checking miscfile checksums ... [ ok ]
    * checking Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403.tar.gz ... [ ok ]
    >>> Unpacking source...
    >>> Unpacking Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/dev-perl/Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403/work
    >>> Source unpacked.
    >>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/dev-perl/Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403/work/Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403 ...
    * Using ExtUtils::MakeMaker
    Can't locate Tk/MMutil.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i586-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i586-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i586-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at Makefile.PL line 1.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 1.
    * ERROR: dev-perl/Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403 failed.
    * Call stack:
    * ebuild.sh, line 1695: Called dyn_compile
    * ebuild.sh, line 1033: Called qa_call 'src_compile'
    * ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile
    * ebuild.sh, line 1377: Called perl-module_src_compile
    * perl-module.eclass, line 147: Called perl-module_src_prep
    * perl-module.eclass, line 136: Called die
    * The specific snippet of code:
    * echo "$pm_echovar" | perl Makefile.PL ${myconf} INSTALLMAN3DIR='none'\
    * PREFIX=/usr INSTALLDIRS=vendor DESTDIR=${D} || die "Unable to build! (are you using USE=\"build\"?)"
    * The die message:
    * Unable to build! (are you using USE="build"?)
    * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
    * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-perl/Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403/temp/build.log'.

* Messages for package dev-perl/Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403:

* ERROR: dev-perl/Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403 failed.
    * Call stack:
    * ebuild.sh, line 1695: Called dyn_compile
    * ebuild.sh, line 1033: Called qa_call 'src_compile'
    * ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile
    * ebuild.sh, line 1377: Called perl-module_src_compile
    * perl-module.eclass, line 147: Called perl-module_src_prep
    * perl-module.eclass, line 136: Called die
    * The specific snippet of code:
    * echo "$pm_echovar" | perl Makefile.PL ${myconf} INSTALLMAN3DIR='none'\
    * PREFIX=/usr INSTALLDIRS=vendor DESTDIR=${D} || die "Unable to build! (are you using USE=\"build\"?)"
    * The die message:
    * Unable to build! (are you using USE="build"?)
    * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
    * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-perl/Tk-JPEG-Lite-2.01403/temp/build.log'.

Note: I had to remove ; - ) from the lines that said "checking xxxx" because the forum thought they were smilies/winks and complained there were too many

PS. This computer was previously running Gentoo/Sabayon 3.4f, but it hadn't been used or updated recently, so I reformatted & resized partitions (except for /home) and reinstalled fresh, since I needed a larger / partition.

PPS. I narrowed down the packages, and it seems to be an issue with emerging streamdvd. Some of the other packages have errors also (different) but this error seems to be from streamdvd. Still not sure how to fix, but now the error is more specific.

thanks!
    William
    Last edited by infoport; 10-18-2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: error seems to be from package streamdvd

I just tried emerging streamdvd on my 3.4f system, and I received the eact same error as you did.
    Even after when it asks "Are you using "USE="build""
    Putting that before "emerge streamdvd" still got the error.
    It looks to me like this Tk-JPEG-Lite is broken.
    Are you able to emerge other packages yet?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!

errors seem to be with specific packages (streamdvd, etc)

yes, I have been able to emerge other packages.
    A few of the others give others errors (mostly related to ivtv, the most important to me, grr....), but I have been able to emerge several other packages successfully.

The ivtv & media packages are important to me as I have a Hauppauge PVR-350 which I have gotten to test successfully (by 'cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg, on other distros), but I have never been able to then access video0 via any of the TV programs.

I guess now that I used divide-and-test to determine that it was specific packages, I should really work out each one separately (since it doesn't seem to be the fault of 'emerge')

This Hauppauge card has been a headache for over a year. I suspect that ivtv errors may have something to do with an ATI All-in-Wonder being my main card, and ATI having flaky drivers which do not support TV.(and the ATI interfering with Hauppauge working out of other programs)

William

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

streamdvd must have problem, other packages emerging!

I have been able to emerge other packages, including ivtv!
    I haven't tried to setup mythtv on Gentoo for a while, but it seems like it might work this time (I always knew that compiling it would get better results )

I'll start a more specific thread if I have problems with mythtv or tv apps...

thanks,
    William