Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Hello, everyone.... I am here to find out what I need to install on my system. I will provide a list and if you think this will work with gentoo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Getting Ready To Install Gentoo For The First Time !!!!

Hello, everyone....

I am here to find out what I need to install on my system. I will provide a list and if you think this will work with gentoo please let me Know.

Here are the specs:

AMD Athalon 4600+ X2 Dualcore;
    Zalmon Heatsink;
    2 Gigabytes of RAM;
    EVGA 7950GT OK 512M Graphic Card;
    OCZ ModStream 520W PowerSupply;
    KN1Sli-lite Extreme Mobo;
    w/ nvidia chipset;
    Logitech LX710 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse;
    Envision 19'' widescreen Lcd panel;
    Creative Audigy 2 Sound card;
    500GB SATA Hitachi Deskstar;
    300GB PATA Seagate Baracuda;
    160GB SATA Western Digital;
    HP Photosmart 2610xi All in one Printer/Scanner;

Now I would like to now if there are driver software for these products so I can start running Gentoo without no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyntek View Post
    Hello, everyone....

I am here to find out what I need to install on my system. I will provide a list and if you think this will work with gentoo please let me Know.

Here are the specs:

AMD Athalon 4600+ X2 Dualcore;
    Zalmon Heatsink;
    2 Gigabytes of RAM;
    EVGA 7950GT OK 512M Graphic Card;
    OCZ ModStream 520W PowerSupply;
    KN1Sli-lite Extreme Mobo;
    w/ nvidia chipset;
    Logitech LX710 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse;
    Envision 19'' widescreen Lcd panel;
    Creative Audigy 2 Sound card;
    500GB SATA Hitachi Deskstar;
    300GB PATA Seagate Baracuda;
    160GB SATA Western Digital;
    HP Photosmart 2610xi All in one Printer/Scanner;

Now I would like to now if there are driver software for these products so I can start running Gentoo without no problems.
    Hiya Cyntek, and Welcome.
    You are going to have problems, that's just how Gentoo is, it's difficult and more than likely you will need help. Lucky for you, you came to the right place. About the only way to know what kind of drivers you might need, is to just install it and see if it works, of course, you might want to try the LiveCD first.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Question What size ??

Okay, Now since I am going to dual boot gentoo w/ windows what size and how should the hard drives be partitioned?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Partition size is really a matter of personal preference so long as they are big enough to hold all the data that will reside on them. I usually make mine something like this:

Code:
    / (about 8 to 12 GB, ext3)
    SWAP (about 512 MB)
    /home  (about 8 to 12 GB, ext3)
    oz

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Partition size is really a matter of personal preference so long as they are big enough to hold all the data that will reside on them. I usually make mine something like this:

Code:
    / (about 8 to 12 GB, ext3)
    SWAP (about 512 MB)
    /home  (about 8 to 12 GB, ext3)

Thanks Oz, for the reply. If I have any other questions I post back thanks.

Just Joined!

Question

On the section for the /make.conf. Since I am running an Athlon X2 4600+ processor and Nvidia graphic card what should the CFLAGS be set as?. And since I'll be dual booting with Windows XP On the same hard drive which I have split into two partitions. So there for sda1=windows / and Gentoo sda2=boot, sda3=swap, sda4=root what file system would be best for optimization. I was just thinking of using ext3-boot and reiserfs=root would that be okay as well?.

Also is this okay for my /make.conf:

CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O3 -pipe -msse3"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
    MAKEOPTS="-j3"
    USE="-ipv6 kde qt qt3 qt4 3dnow acpi alsa bash-completion cairo cdr crypt dbus dga dvd dvdr
    dvdread firefox gif gnome glitz glx gtk gtk2 hal imlib jpeg lm_sensors mmap mmx mp3 mpeg multilib ncurses
    nptl nptlonly nsplugin openal opengl oss pdf png readline samba sdl spell sse sse2 ssl svg svga threads tiff truetype unicode usb win32codecs X xcomposite xv xvid"
    VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"

If most of these are not necessary please let me know!! Otherwise I'll leave it as is for now, I am running an Athlon64 X2 4600+ chip and an evga 7950gt 512Mb OK card. ?

It all looks good to me, the only thing I would change at this point would be the file systems, I use Ext3 only, but that's just a personal preference, you can use whichever you like. You'll end up adding more USE flags as you go along.
    Here is my USE flags for reference.
    USE="symlink 3dnow x86 acl alsa apm arts asf avi avahi bitmap-fonts cddb cdr crypt cups dbus dri eds encode ffmpeg firefox flac fortran f77 foomaticdb ftp gdbm gphoto2 gif glitz gpm gstreamer gtk hal imlib java jpeg kerberos kde gnome ldap libg++ libclamav libwww lmsensors mad mbox mcal mikmod mime mmx motif mp3 mpeg mplayer mysql ncurses nls nsplugin nvidia oggvorbis opengl pam pdflib png ppds python oav qt3 quicktime readline ruby samba sdl snmp spell ssl svga tcpd truetype usb win32codecs yahoo X xine xml xml2 xmms xvid xv xvmc zeroconf zlib"
    INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
    VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
    ALSA_CARDS="intel8x0"
    NOCOLOR="false"
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!

Question

thanks for the heads up, however, I am running into a wall atm. Today is a new day and well I started the computer up and it booted up into the livecd(minimal). How do I get back into the system without booting into "livecd root" also, what would be Ideal to use "manually config the kernel or just use the "genkernel all" script to automatically configure the kernel?.

How do I get back into the system without booting into "livecd root"
    I don't understand what you mean here, please explain. Did you install Gentoo to the HD already?

what would be Ideal to use "manually config the kernel or just use the "genkernel all"
    Ideally you want to configure the kernel manually, but it isn't extremely easy for a new Linux user, If you have never compiled your own kernel, I would say use the Genkernel. Maybe after you have Gentoo up and running, then you can experiment with compiling your own kernel.

Just Joined!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I don't understand what you mean here, please explain. Did you install Gentoo to the HD already?

my problem is starting where I left off last night and right now, the computer booted from the livecd. I am currently trying to use the genkernel all script to automatically configure the kernel but I cant because I am stuck at the Livecd root# prompt. I thought I have installed Gentoo to the HD already? I took the cd out of the cdrom and reboot I still have no OS to be found because I am only on section 7.d of the Gentoo Handbook!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast