Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Ive just installed Gentoo, but when i start it up it takes to me to a black screen with writing on it and when it say login and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I access my GUI desktop

Hi all,

Ive just installed Gentoo, but when i start it up it takes to me to a black screen with writing on it and when it say login and i do, it just says my name an a hash, so it in shell. How do i just get to my desktop. Please Help!

stlinux

Did you install Gentoo or are you using the LiveCD? Did you install the Desktop Environment? If you did, then try typing this command after you login:
    startx
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I installed it from the live cd but i have taken that out, and what setting would i had to choose to install desktop environment

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you have already finished the install, then you need to use Portage/emerge to install a DE.
    Check these links for more info.
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The KDE Configuration HOWTO
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The GNOME Configuration HOWTO
    There are other DE's available for Gentoo but I only included the two most popular. (My Opinion)
    Good Luck!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for all your help, startx works, im just glad i didnt have to install the DE through the Portage/emerge, looks rather complicated. Anyway thanks again

stlinux

Quote Originally Posted by stlinux View Post
    Thanks a lot for all your help, startx works, im just glad i didnt have to install the DE through the Portage/emerge, looks rather complicated. Anyway thanks again

stlinux
    It isn't really complicated, but it can take several days to get the whole DE compiled from source. I think it took me about 9 days to get my Gentoo machine working just right, of course I have a day job and didn't actually spend 9 days sitting at my Computer.
    Glad you got yours up and running, Good Luck!

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, I don't install Gentoo very often because of the long installation times needed, but it always takes me the better part of a full weekend (not much sleep, either) to get the base system and the desktop environment installed, then tweaked.
    oz