Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am having problems with the speed of the DVD-ROM on Acer Aspire 5680. I have managed to start DMA on the hard drive, but using hdparm on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help with DVD-ROM DMA support on Acer Aspire 5680

Hi all,
    I am having problems with the speed of the DVD-ROM on Acer Aspire 5680. I have managed to start DMA on the hard drive, but using hdparm on the dvd results in:

kireto ~ # hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
    setting using_dma to 1 (on)
    HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
    using_dma = 0 (off)

I am using kernel linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r8. I have look several times in the kernel config to find a suitable module. I have even tried compiling most of them into the kernel (of course not all of them in one time), but with no success.

dmesg reports the following for the dvd-rom:[I]
    hdc: MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-85JS, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

Please,
    can you help me in this situation?

Best Regards,
    thebravoman

Linux Guru
    Output from lspci is needed. Also, put the .config for your actual kernel in some pastebin or wherever and paste here a link to it so we can review it.

By the way: ¿do you have any other ide disk? ¿A hard drive? ¿Is it using dma?

Just Joined!
    The output of lspci is:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller IDE (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce Go 7600] (rev a1)
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
    05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
    06:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev c0)
    06:04.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB-712/4 Cardbus Controller (rev 10)
    06:04.1 FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI Memory Stick Card Reader Controller (rev 01)
    06:04.2 Generic system peripheral [0805]: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI Secure Digital Card Reader Controller (rev 01)
    06:04.3 FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc: (rev 01)
    06:04.4 FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc Unknown device 0551 (rev 01)

I have one hard drive that is sata and I have managed to start it with DMA.

I have uploaded the kernel config at
    RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting

Best Regards,
    thebravomam

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by thebravoman View Post
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller IDE (rev 02)
    You need to go to your kernel config (using menuconfig, I don't know about genkernel, sorry). Go to device drivers and mark

Code:
    <*> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support  --->
    Enter the subsection pressing enter and mark:

Code:
    <*>   Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
    Code:
    [*]     PCI IDE chipset support
    Code:
    [*]     Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
    Now you need also to set your chipset driver (otherwise, you are not allowed to use any udma mode at all). I think yours would be:

Code:
    <*>       Intel PIIXn chipsets support
    Not sure, though, since I don't have one. Once that is set, close, save the changes, recompile your new kernel and reboot. If you did everything ok, your drive will be able to use the dma now.

I have one hard drive that is sata and I have managed to start it with DMA.
    SATA always use dma.

I have uploaded the kernel config at
    RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting

Best Regards,
    thebravomam
    I haven't even reviewed it, since the problem seems evident. Anyway, it is a hassle to use something like rapidshare. Please, next time use something like pastebin - collaborative debugging tool

You just paste the text, and once you submit it, they give you an url. Then you put the url here, and anyone can comfortably see the text on a web browser, without having to go to rapidshare, select a button, write a key, download a file and open it into an editor.

I hope it helped a bit, if you have any problem just let me know.
    Last edited by i92guboj; 11-05-2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: broken code tags

Just Joined!
    Thanks
    I have already tried PCI IDE Support options. I have even tried compiling all of them (of course not at the same time ), but even this did not help. hdparm -d 1 still says that the operation is not permitted.

I am using menuconfig to configure my configuration and using genkernel just to compile the kernel and the modules.

I have now uploaded the .config file on pastebin - pastebin - collaborative debugging tool
    Thanks for the information. I was not aware of pastebin.

Best Regards,
    Kiril

Linux Guru
    Ok, then I assume that your controller is not able to work with that ide drivers for some reason. You should still be able to use your cdrom with the PATA driver.

For that, you might need to enable support for scsi cdroms. Enable it, recompile and reinstall the kernel.

Then, try adding this to your boot line on the grub.conf:

Code:
    atapi_enabled=1
    And finally reboot and see if dmesg reports some new drive at all.

EDIT: in case you need some reference, my config is linked below, using ide cdroms with a pata driver on an nforce chipset. Besides the chipset, obviously, for the rest the config should look the same:

pastebin - collaborative debugging tool
    Last edited by i92guboj; 11-05-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: added config

Just Joined!
    Thanks again,

I have configured the kernel config to use SCSI cdrom Support, then I have tried different configurations of "Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers". In the same time I have added atapi_enabled=1 in grub conf.

I have also reviewed you configuration I tried to map it to my configuration. I have only selected different modules in the "Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers" but even this did not helped me. hdparm still says that the operation is not permitted.

As for the dmesg it is again giving the same output:
    Probing IDE interface ide2...
    Probing IDE interface ide3...
    Probing IDE interface ide4...
    Probing IDE interface ide5...
    ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
    hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM DVD-R-RAM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
    ata_piix 0000:00:1f.2: version 2.11
    ata_piix 0000:00:1f.2: MAP [ P0 P2 IDE IDE ]

I am again pasting my current configuration on pastebin - collaborative debugging tool

Thank you very much for the help.
    Do you have any other ideas what might be the problem?

Best Regards,
    thebravoman

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by thebravoman View Post
    "hdc" means that your drive is being accesed thru the regular IDE cdrom driver, not the sata one. Remove completely the IDE support from your kernel to test the SATA/PATA combo. Otherwise you will still be using the IDE driver.

Then the drives will be name sr0, sr1 and so on. Once you have that names for your drives, you know you got PATA working. Oh, and forget about hdparm. SATA drivers always use udma, hdparm is not applicable to SCSI drives, and in which respect linux, all the usb massive stuff, the sata stuff, and the scsi stuff itself, is all SCSI. So, hdparm will not be usefull for anything (except maybe to test the speed of the drive).

Just Joined!
    Thank you i92guboj.

It actually works. I am now even burning a DVD at the speed of light (something about and above 4.0x-6.0x without this interrupting my work ).

Thank you again.

Best Regards,
    thebravoman