Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys....dunno how i messed up but i'm tryi to emerge perl its emergin into \ ,the root directory!!! i first found this out when i was tryin to update ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

somethin wrong with the emerge

Hey guys....dunno how i messed up but i'm tryi to emerge perl its emergin into \ ,the root directory!!! i first found this out when i was tryin to update my gnome...and the intltool wont compile givin me an error sayin 'XML-Parser', a perl module not found..... so i emerged perl (and even XML-Parser specifically)and then tried out the intltool thingy again.....and it gave me the same error... HELP!!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstrike2002 View Post
    Hey guys....dunno how i messed up but i'm tryi to emerge perl its emergin into \ ,the root directory!!! i first found this out when i was tryin to update my gnome...and the intltool wont compile givin me an error sayin 'XML-Parser', a perl module not found..... so i emerged perl (and even XML-Parser specifically)and then tried out the intltool thingy again.....and it gave me the same error... HELP!!
    About the XML-Parser thing, just emerging dev-perl/XML-Parser should solve it. If not, post the error code, and not a vague description.

About the rest of the post, I don't understand a word. What does this phrase exactly mean?

but i'm tryi to emerge perl its emergin into \ ,the root directory!!!

Just Joined!
    i tried emerging dev-perl/XML-Parser and its not solving the problem. And about that line you didnt understand, sorry, this is what i meant.

"I'm trying to emerge perl all over again, but it is compiling into '\', that is, the root directory"

Linux Guru

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nightstrike2002 View Post
    i tried emerging dev-perl/XML-Parser and its not solving the problem. And about that line you didnt understand, sorry, this is what i meant.
    Really strange. Do "emerge -pv XML-Parser", and make sure it is installed. If not sure, post the output for that command here.

If it is installed, I would need to review the error that the other merge is giving. It should not complain about that package if it is installed.

"I'm trying to emerge perl all over again, but it is compiling into '\', that is, the root directory"
    You mean '/'. But yes, I figured that out. what I can't understand is what "is compiling into root" means. All the packages get merged into / after being compiled into a sandbox. Do you mean that perl files are just thrown into / without any order? Can you be more explicit?

I hope it made sense now.

Regards.