Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everybody, after 2-3 weeks play with mandrake 10, I decided to install gentoo ( on a separate HDD, after disconnecting my "production" HHD's)because of the claimed control and efficiency. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Starting X after gentoo stage 3 install and some more Q's

hello everybody,

after 2-3 weeks play with mandrake 10, I decided to install gentoo ( on a separate HDD, after disconnecting my "production" HHD's)because of the claimed control and efficiency. I followed the installation guide to the letter using a stage 3 tarball. all went more or less well and I ended at a prompt. From there can anybody point me in the right direction as to how to install a desktop manager ( KDE ) things like startx does not work.

I also tried to mount a cdrom by typing

mount cdrom

or

mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1

or something along those lines, to no avail. I must certainly have messed up somewhere.. please give me a hint..

I 'm not sure but why do you have to sort of re-map the directories etc..( the part where you chroot.. Is it because you are quitting the livecd environment and going on the HDD itself?

A few more Q's

Does Mandrake or othe linuxes have the USE command that gentoo has?
    Can I "optimize" mandrake only for KDE for example?

Do RPM's work on Gentoo?

I am doing network less install and have latest snapshot on cdrom.. how do I install it?

Thank you for your help

Linux User
    things like startx does not work.
    Whats the error? Try "xorgconfig" as root or "xf86config" as root.

To mount your cdrom try "mount /mnt/cdrom". If that doesn't work post your fstab because you might already have a cdrom entry
    Code:
    $ cat /etc/fstab
    Example: my cdrom entry is
    Code:
    /dev/cdrom       /mnt/cdrom       iso9660     noauto,user,ro   0   0
    In my case, /dev/cdrom is a symbolic link to /dev/hdd but usually it is /dev/hdc
    --monkey

ok first off to get x installed you will need to instally xfree or xorg. which would be done by typing the command emerge xfree or emerge xorg. another way to do this could be emerge kde as emerging kde will find all of its dependencies and download them and install them that even means the x server xfree but mind you this will take a good 24 hours depending on your system maybe not quite that long but it will take a good amount of time to install them and for the rpm's no i dont believe gentoo allows rpms as you dont need them with the portage system cause all you have to do is type emerge <applicationname> and it will find the dependencies and install them along with the application itself.

for the mounting of the cdrom you will want to type

mount /mnt/cdrom
    this will mount it if you set up your fstab correctly good luck and if you have anymore questions just ask. i would actually recommend you do a google search about the gentoo portage system cause it is kind of complicated. they have a good one on the gentoo site here is the link to it
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-manual.xml
    good luck
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    Thank you both for the tips! I will have a go at this asap, I'm at work now..troubleshooting m$ based systems

Yeah i think the Gentoo doc's need to make it a little clearer that you need to install 'X' befor you can start it... on the last page of the base system install ,and not expect new ppl toe read to the next page to find out that they need to install wore stuff to have gui.
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

I dont think its the gentoo developers team that someone new enough to not know that you have to install x before running it didn't read the handbook all the way.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamer
    Thank you both for the tips! I will have a go at this asap, I'm at work now..troubleshooting m$ based systems
    Troubleshooting M$ based systems? Isn't that like playing Russian Roulette?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

possibly more akin to polka in a minefield.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

Network less install of kde in gentoo2005.1

Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    ok first off to get x installed you will need to instally xfree or xorg. which would be done by typing the command emerge xfree or emerge xorg. another way to do this could be emerge kde as emerging kde will find all of its dependencies and download them and install them that even means the x server xfree but mind you this will take a good 24 hours depending on your system maybe not quite that long but it will take a good amount of time to install them and for the rpm's no i dont believe gentoo allows rpms as you dont need them with the portage system cause all you have to do is type emerge <applicationname> and it will find the dependencies and install them along with the application itself.

for the mounting of the cdrom you will want to type

mount /mnt/cdrom
    this will mount it if you set up your fstab correctly good luck and if you have anymore questions just ask. i would actually recommend you do a google search about the gentoo portage system cause it is kind of complicated. they have a good one on the gentoo site here is the link to it
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-manual.xml
    good luck
    hi i am also doing network less install from the universal install cd gentoo 2005.1 but after reaching to cmd shell i am unable to emerge the kde as it's trying to connect to internet for extra packages what do i do now?.