Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
sorry,but how exactly to do this cause i don't understand,please explain step by step:i boot the livedvd amdx64/i chose gentoo-nofb/i press enter/i wait till he is give me the error/after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question

sorry,but how exactly to do this cause i don't understand,please explain step by step:i boot the livedvd amdx64/i chose gentoo-nofb/i press enter/i wait till he is give me the error/after that ''livecd root#/from here please please help

Have you tried the LiveCD without using the -nofb option? This could be the reason you are not able to boot into the GUI mode. I'm not familiar with the AMD options but if you are able, just select a generic kernel without the -nofb or try just pressing enter at the Boot screen.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Question

yes i already did this,no result,maybe i try to hard,but i wryly like gentoo,it's worthed,now i google for help,but.... i still need help.so please any ideas. there are any chances to migrate from sabayon to gentoo,now i download Sabayon-Linux-x86_64-3.5_Loop1-r1iso on dvd.but i still ...gentoo help

Quote Originally Posted by sosoy77 View Post
    yes i already did this,no result,maybe i try to hard,but i wryly like gentoo,it's worthed,now i google for help,but.... i still need help.so please any ideas. there are any chances to migrate from sabayon to gentoo,now i download Sabayon-Linux-x86_64-3.5_Loop1-r1iso on dvd.but i still ...gentoo help
    You can install gentoo to your hard drive using the Sabayon livecd. You do not want to use the graphical installer included on the gentoo livecd's to install gentoo. You want to do it from the command line following the handbook. That is the only official way of installing gentoo.

Once booted into the environment of whatever livecd you chose and got to work, then open the Gentoo Linux -- Gentoo Linux News website, go to the handbook for whatever arch you have chosen, and start installing.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!

Unhappy

easy for you to say,this what i want too,but let's see....i don't know how to start,for example when i open cfdisk and i try to write the hdd partition he says ''read only ''i can not write the hdd partition,and this it's just one,and i have many.guess i need a start to make it run,to see some results.look i try whit x86 minimal cd whit this guide Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Linux x86 Quick Install Guide but some how i did int make it.how to do whit sabayon.please do not mis understand me i don' want to make some one for me,i just try to understand how and how and how...man please help

Instead of using the quick install guide, you should use the "alternate install guide" that I linked to in my previous post.
    Or you can use your gentoo install cd, and follow the handbook
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7 View Post
    Instead of using the quick install guide, you should use the "alternate install guide" that I linked to in my previous post.
    Or you can use your gentoo install cd, and follow the handbook
    I get a bit tickled when I see "quick install guide" relating to Gentoo, because I've never had a quick install of Gentoo. The Gentoo Handbook, as suggested by budman7, has always worked perfectly for me though, and I recommend printing it out in its entirety for the easiest installation.

Oh, and be prepared to spend a few days getting it installed, even if the installation goes perfectly.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I get a bit tickled when I see "quick install guide" relating to Gentoo, because I've never had a quick install of Gentoo. The Gentoo Handbook, as suggested by budman7, has always worked perfectly for me though, and I recommend printing it out in its entirety for the easiest installation.

Oh, and be prepared to spend a few days getting it installed, even if the installation goes perfectly.
    It only took me 1 day to install the base system, upgrade to gcc 4.2.2, recompile the system twice, and install kde. Well, by 1 day I mean 24 hours. And it is on my Core2 Quad with 8GB DDR2.

I agree that you shouldn't use the quick install guide. The best way to install gentoo is to follow the handbook! You don't have to use the alternative install guide to use a different livecd than the official one, just start with the "Managing Disks" section (section 4 I think).

I don't mean to be mean or anything, so please don't take it that way, but if you are having this much trouble just trying to install gentoo, you may need to start with an easier distro and move to gentoo a little later.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

oz
    forum.guy
    sosoy77, here's a poll regarding favorite distro for new Linux users that might help you with picking another distro should you decide not to pursue Gentoo:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...rs-2008-a.html

Be sure to also check the same poll for last year.

As you can see, I didn't bother to put Gentoo in the poll because it's not a distro geared for new users, but is instead considered an "advanced distro". That said, lots of new Linux users have succeeded in getting it installed and running, although it might have taken a number of attempts to do so in some cases.

Good luck with it whichever route you take, and have fun with Linux.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by gruven
    You don't have to use the alternative install guide to use a different livecd than the official one, just start with the "Managing Disks" section (section 4 I think).
    At the beginning of the Knoppix installation, it says
    Code Listing 3.1: Creating the /mnt/gentoo mountpoint

# mkdir /mnt/gentoo

At this point, you can pick up with the standard install documentation at part 4. However, when you are asked to mount the proc system, issue the following command instead:

Code Listing 3.2: Bind-mounting the proc pseudo filesystem

# mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
    It is a small point, but it could result in a lot of work going down the drain.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast