Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
guys i am new in linux,now i am useing ubuntu but i wryly like gentoo.in my old system workt but in new one i get this message Failed to start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Failed to start X Server

guys i am new in linux,now i am useing ubuntu but i wryly like gentoo.in my old system workt but in new one i get this message Failed to start the X server,i try whit live dvd x86,whit x64,whit minimal installation cd this one i don't know.
    this is my pc hardware:motherboard- ASUS M2N-E,proc-AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ AM2 WOF,video-Forsa NVIDIA 8500 gt 512M,ram-2048 MB,hdd-1*250GB and daewoo 17'' modelHL 711S,mouse genius navigator 535 and keyboard microsoft model RT2300.i try whit live dvdx64(after the x server failed to start) to xorgconfig but no success,after that i did the settings for internet and i tried ''installer'' i start to download stage 3 but again error to 80%.what else can i do.please guys,thanx anticipate

I've been struggling to install Gentoo myself over the past week or so ...
    I tried the minimal and live CD of both x86 and 64 bit. The installer has failed in almost every instance ... but then I think thats a bit of a cheat anyway.

I have managed to get the x86 version to run KDE and I think I got OpenOffice to emerge but it took a few goes. I am still struggling with the 64 bit version.

I found I had more success when I did not create a separate boot partition - its not needed anyway. Things seem to go a bit pear shaped when I tried installing to a SATA disk at sda11 or so as well.

The quick guide for x86 seemed to work OK which you can get from the Gentoo website under installation docs. I actually ended up pasting from the installation docs into shell scripts and runnings them because I was convinced I mis-typed something.

I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually ... but its a big step from the usual click and install of some other distros. I've also downloaded the 64 bit LFS live CD but I think I need to get to grips with Gentoo first !

The boot partition is there simply for security and convenience in case you boot other distro's along side gentoo. Security wise it is nice to have a separate boot partition because if it isn't mounted, it isn't accessible. You can always automount it anyway.

You don't need an X server to install gentoo. You don't even need a gentoo livecd. I usually do my gentoo installs from an Ubuntu LiveCD because the ubuntu cd's are usually more up-to-date and they support my wireless cards.

Gentoo installs should be done from the command line following the handbook. That way you see how it installs everything and how to compile your kernel so that you can fix things as they arise. Nothing is automatic in gentoo. No wizards, all you have is documentation and man pages (also help on the net). It isn't hard to learn, it just takes time. And please don't use the automated installer. It is bug-ridden and shouldn't even be included on the official cd's.

I run Gentoo 64 ~amd64 on my Core2 Quad. It wasn't fun trying to get it installed with the new ICH9 chipset. I had to find a livecd that had a newer kernel on it. Bleeding edge hardware is always more of a challenge in Linux.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanx for the reply guys but i need more than that,i know it's not gone be easy.how can i find one gentoo to work on my system,and how to use a minimal cd please can u help me to start,and i wryly need a graphic interface at first,now i have a empty hdd only for gentoo and i will start trying to install.thanx

To be honest, if you have to have a gui, then you will be lost in gentoo. I recommend you try out Sabayon Linux because it is based on gentoo, and has an up to date kernel. I had to use that livecd to install my current gentoo system because of my brand new hardware.

I can't help you any more on your gui problem, because I don't know the exact error you are getting. I know you said that it tells you it can't start the x server, but there is a reason, and it should ask you if you want to view the logs. You should say yes, and then scroll through the logs to try and find the problem. When you find the error it gives you (usually in the last 20 or so lines, most of the time) tell us, and we can help you more. Chances are it isn't finding your mouse or keyboard, it can't initialize the video card (using the wrong driver), etc.... Those are all simple to fix, but we need to know which one is causing the problem. It could be a chipset problem, I just don't know with the limited info.

In linux it helps to know the exact error, so that we can pinpoint the problem and provide the correct answer.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    first,thanx for helping me.this the error i gotEE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
    (EE) Failed to load module ''GLcore'' (loader failed. 7) (EE) Failed to load module ''glx'' (module does not exist. 0) (EE) No devices detected. Fatal sever error: no screens found. this is the problem diagnose. if i understand correct

Try this, open the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and edit the [Device] section, specifically the line Driver. Change it to "vesa" so it looks like this.
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "vesa"
        VendorName     "unknown"
    If you issue "/etc/init.d/xdm restart" X should start up fine.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

man,i just try this in live cd,but all i got was ''bash:/etc/X11/xorg.conf:No.such file or directory,i maid it whit ''xorgconfig'' to edit but only thing was to rename "Device0" no success,still the same error.help

So, copy the xorg file from the LiveCD, (while you are using the LiveCD of course) and paste it into the /etc/X11/ directory, this should give you a rough outline to work with.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Are you trying to startx from a gentoo minimal livecd?
    If you are, that won't work, as the livecd does not have the drivers necessary to startx.

If you want to install Gentoo from a graphical environment, download a livecd such as Ubuntu, Mepis or Knoppix.
    See Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The Gentoo Linux alternative installation method HOWTO and look for the "Knoppix installation" section.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast