Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Go to www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml you should be able to find a mirror there that has what you need....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Go to www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml you should be able to find a mirror there that has what you need.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    ok thx...is there any thing i need to know about installing it with a stage 3? because like i said be4 im a newbie to gentoo thx

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

Step 1: Select your architecture
    Step 2: READ

Read the documentation and follow it exactly, is what I hear. Read the whole thing first, then copy it into a word processor and print it. Then read it online again. Then (and only then) may you commence the installing.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal-Flush
    I download the 80 meg downlaod or was it 90? well it was the minimal download and i booted it, logged in, and it went no where. Does this not install it? or what? what do i need to do to install it?
    This is gentoo Read the hand book...there is no gui installer you have to manualy install gentoo yourself!....and it is not that hard to do if you read the handbook first
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Go to www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml you should be able to find a mirror there that has what you need.
    hey what do i dl from the mirror? the live D? or do i just download every X86/AMDXP CD image i can find in all of these folders? (the mirror ive tried is the GAtech one)...sorry if i seem a little dumb but im new to gentoo, im used to graqphical installs an ive never really compiled a program either (thank God for RPM's) thx

What architecture are you using? x86, AMD_64, or something else.

Go here and download and burn to cd the iso for your architecture. You only need one of the 2 iso's.

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/versio...ersion=133#x86

Minimal, is just that, minimal. All it has is a compiler, and not much else. You will have to download everything from one of those mirrors. The handbook will tell you what do dl and when. Advantage of this is up2date packages.

The universal has everything you need. Instead of downloading from the net during the install, you will just copy from the cd. Again, the handbook will explain what to copy and when to copy it.
    Advantage is you can do the install without internet access.

I didn't understand what you were asking for earlier, I hope this is a little more helpful.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

God
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal-Flush
    I download the 80 meg downlaod or was it 90? well it was the minimal download and i booted it, logged in, and it went no where. Does this not install it? or what? what do i need to do to install it?
    This is gentoo Read the hand book...there is no gui installer you have to manualy install gentoo yourself!....and it is not that hard to do if you read the handbook first
    It's not hard at all, its just time consuming and pointless. The only reason why I run gentoo, is because of it's portage system.

Just Joined!
    im running an X86 (Athlon XP 2600) but what CD images to i need to do a stage 3? install

God
    Just Joined!
    You can do any, stage1 or stage, with your arch, just extract the stage3-athlon tarball.

Linux Newbie
    Jesus H. Christ. RTFM. I understand that most of the question-askers here are new to Linux. But gawsh! There's a manual at the Gentoo.org website. It's not HARD to find. It tells you everything. I'm sure that in the process of finding the Gentoo site you realized that Gentoo would not come with a graphical installer. I'm sure that you all have heard that you have to compile essentially everything from scratch in Gentoo. That's one of the main features of Gentoo. I mean sheesh. There are search utilities in this forum, and I'm dead sure that these questions have been asked before. Not to mention many of the questions asked are written by people who have failed both to use capital letters and to use proper grammar. Noob questions are fine to ask. Remember that there are no stupid questions. There are only stupid people. Keep that in mind. You'll seem a lot smarter if you just pay attention. If noobs show that they are more or less willing to learn and have the capability, I will help them, by all means, as best I can. But if not, as displayed in several posts in this thread, they just become a waste of space.

Reading is GOOD.
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast