Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ive neever installed a gui on a gentoo based system, but i just emerged kde, (im assuming this installed xfree) but when I ran xf86config, i get hte 'so such ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gentoo graphica Config

ive neever installed a gui on a gentoo based system, but i just emerged kde, (im assuming this installed xfree) but when I ran xf86config, i get hte 'so such command ...anyideas?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    it did not install xfree86 as it does not "depend" on it strictly speaking.. allwase do emerge -av <ebuild> it will give you information about what will be installed. if you had done that then you wouldnt have posted this question:)

i did install xfree thought, i ran
    Code:
    emerge xfree
    and still get the error, hence the problem, soory i dndnt explain that (I was in a rush)

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    includet he full path to that aplicaiton:

/usr/X11/bin/xf86cfg

i think it is

after running a few searches and finding nothing, i looked through the system logs to see what they had, i stumbled across something. There had been a power flicker the night i was emerging all of it, i have a upc on the other computer, but forgot that the linux box is not yet on one, as it will be moved to a perminet home next week. i guess it suffered an unexpected faliure, but the power came back fast enough that linux booted back up, i thought nothing of logging back in. I just emreged it again and then the config worked, stupid problem==stupid error.

---

Now I have a ligit question (or like to think i do) When I start Xserver, it has its own windows manager open (I cannot tell what it is) this desktop will be used as a workstation (not for me) and I'm trying to make it exwindows friendly (ie kde) if i just run startkde, it says the kde cannot find the xserver, but when i startx then run kde from inside the xterminal that is opened by default, then it runs but not using kde's default window manager, and with the entire desktop in a window. Fine for now but this is part of my pitch to migrate our windows network (some 7,000 computers) to a linux based one and i want it to not only wow the it guys, but the execs and such with pretty colors, and this window manager is not pretty.... I looked in my config file for a default window manager, but found nothing, i think in some system file there might be a default, but i dont know wihitch one or where. Wow, ramble, stopping.

Formerly Known as qub333

summary, how can i change my default window manager?

Formerly Known as qub333

/etc/rc.conf

muchos gratias, but still getting screwed by overides, anyways, im gonna move to xorg so its getting trashed reguardless.

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    edit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and change the default "twm" (- probably) to "kde" save it and "startx" you should also copy the aforementiond file to your /home/ directory as .xinitrc and edit that one on a per user basis.

ok, ill try the copy of xinitrc, before i had modified the rc.conf and it still booted twm. Ill try it when i get home and can see the xserver ( i can run anything in the CLI remotly, but i dont have an xserver on windows at work, so forwarding x11 packets is a pointless bandwidth hog.

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast