Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
ok so you have tried what I suggested and it works - that means that the X server can run. Now press ctrl-alt-backspace, which will take you to the command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ok so you have tried what I suggested and it works - that means that the X server can run. Now press ctrl-alt-backspace, which will take you to the command line. Copy the working xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Then just type startx and you shoud have 3-4 windows pop up, with a clock in the corner and a mouse. Thats X's own window manager!

Edit - as far as I know, the vesa driver that comes with X11 is for ati cards, not nvidia. I have both cards, and I use 'nv' driver for my nvidia. Could that also be the problem?
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs

Quote Originally Posted by tvilkov View Post
    ok so you have tried what I suggested and it works - that means that the X server can run. Now press ctrl-alt-backspace, which will take you to the command line. Copy the working xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Then just type startx and you shoud have 3-4 windows pop up, with a clock in the corner and a mouse. Thats X's own window manager!

Edit - as far as I know, the vesa driver that comes with X11 is for ati cards, not nvidia. I have both cards, and I use 'nv' driver for my nvidia. Could that also be the problem?
    The "vesa" driver works for nvidia also. It is the driver I have to use if I don't have/want/need the proprietary nvidia driver for my 8800GT. The "nv" driver does not work on the 8800GT.

I do use the nvidia driver though. I have used the vesa driver to troubleshoot before.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    I used what MikeTbob seed. ok ,i start x and i have have 3 windows pop up, with a clock in the corner and a mouse.What next? i have installed mozila and i started from console and it's works.And thanks guys you are great.i got it how to install x.But what to do to make it look like a desktop.please help

Quote Originally Posted by sosoy77 View Post
    I used what MikeTbob seed. ok ,i start x and i have have 3 windows pop up, with a clock in the corner and a mouse.What next? i have installed mozila and i started from console and it's works.And thanks guys you are great.i got it how to install x.But what to do to make it look like a desktop.please help
    You need to sort out a window manager ... Gentoo Linux -- Gentoo Documentation Resources

Just Joined!
    thanks guys

gruven - I didn't know that! I'll keep that in mind if anything goes wrong.
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2