Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys,i have problems with xserver again.I have installed nvidia-settings i nvidia-xconfig i restart and now i can't start x.Please help i have search google but i didn't find anything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

please help my xserver

hi guys,i have problems with xserver again.I have installed nvidia-settings i nvidia-xconfig i restart and now i can't start x.Please help i have search google but i didn't find anything about that please help Thanks

Linux Engineer
    post xfree86 or xorg.conf, you probably forgot to update it.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus View Post
    post xfree86 or xorg.conf, you probably forgot to update it.
    There's not need to "update" xorg.conf each time you update xorg or nvidia-drivers.

A good place to start would be /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Look if you can see any errors in there. We can't tell you much more if you don't provide any more info.

Note that you need to recompile the drivers each time you install a new kernel.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    my mistake i did not read the nvidia book.thanks but please explain me how to read this error and how to fix it :i want to emerge app-cdr/cdemu but it's giving me this error:
    emerge app-cdr/cdemu
    Calculating dependencies... done!
    >>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) app-cdr/cdemu-0.8 to /
    * cdemu-0.8.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ... [ ok ]
    * checking ebuild checksums ... [ ok ]
    * checking auxfile checksums ... [ ok ]
    * checking miscfile checksums ... [ ok ]
    * checking cdemu-0.8.tar.bz2 ... [ ok ]
    * Determining the location of the kernel source code
    * Found kernel source directory:
    * /usr/src/linux
    * Found kernel object directory:
    * /lib/modules/2.6.23-gentoo-r6/build
    * Found sources for kernel version:
    * 2.6.23-gentoo-r6
    >>> Unpacking source...
    >>> Unpacking cdemu-0.8.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work
    >>> Source unpacked.
    >>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8 ...
    * Preparing cdemu module
    rm -f .cdemu*.{ko,mod.o,o}.cmd cdemu*.{ko,o,mod.{c,o}} *.pyc core *~
    rm -rf .tmp_versions Modules.symvers
    rm -f docs/cdemu.{dvi,pdf}
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.23-gentoo-r6'
    CC [M] /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_core.o
    CC [M] /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_proc.o
    CC [M] /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_mod.o
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_mod.c:64: warning: 'request_queue_t' is deprecated
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_mod.c:65: warning: 'request_queue_t' is deprecated
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_mod.c: In function 'cdemu_init':
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_mod.c:173: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_mod.c: In function 'cdemu_exit':
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_mod.c:198: error: too many arguments to function 'invalidate_bdev'
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_mod.c:218: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be
    make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_mod.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_core.c: In function 'cdemu_transfer_bio':
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_core.c:176: error: 'const struct file_operations' has no member named 'sendfile'
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_core.c:179: warning: format '%i' expects type 'int', but argument 3 has type 'ssize_t'
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_core.c: At top level:
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_core.c:215: warning: 'request_queue_t' is deprecated
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_core.c: In function 'cdemu_ioctl':
    /var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_core.c:489: error: implicit declaration of function 'generic_file_read'
    make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8/cdemu_core.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/work/cdemu-0.8] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.23-gentoo-r6'
    make: *** [default] Error 2
    * ERROR: app-cdr/cdemu-0.8 failed.
    * Call stack:
    * ebuild.sh, line 1701: Called dyn_compile
    * ebuild.sh, line 1039: Called qa_call 'src_compile'
    * ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile
    * ebuild.sh, line 1383: Called linux-mod_src_compile
    * linux-mod.eclass, line 519: Called die
    * The specific snippet of code:
    * emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)" CC="$(get-KERNEL_CC)" LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)" \
    * ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS} \
    * || die "Unable to make ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS}."
    * The die message:
    * Unable to make clean default.
    * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
    * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/temp/build.log'.

* Messages for package app-cdr/cdemu-0.8:

* ERROR: app-cdr/cdemu-0.8 failed.
    * Call stack:
    * ebuild.sh, line 1701: Called dyn_compile
    * ebuild.sh, line 1039: Called qa_call 'src_compile'
    * ebuild.sh, line 44: Called src_compile
    * ebuild.sh, line 1383: Called linux-mod_src_compile
    * linux-mod.eclass, line 519: Called die
    * The specific snippet of code:
    * emake HOSTCC="$(tc-getBUILD_CC)" CC="$(get-KERNEL_CC)" LDFLAGS="$(get_abi_LDFLAGS)" \
    * ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS} \
    * || die "Unable to make ${BUILD_FIXES} ${BUILD_PARAMS} ${BUILD_TARGETS}."
    * The die message:
    * Unable to make clean default.
    * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
    * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/app-cdr/cdemu-0.8/temp/build.log'.
    please teach me how to fix this thanx in advance.

Linux Guru
    This has nothing to do with your xorg server.

Cdemu likes to break every now and then, it is just too tied to the kernel, and every new kernel it breaks. Like in this bug:

Gentoo Bug 159015 - app-cdr/cdemu-0.8 does not work with Linux 2.6.17+

There's a patch on that thread. But I would just use fuseiso instead. Not in portage, but easy enough to install. You need fuse support in your kernel.

I have an ebuild for it on my site:
    http://jesgue.homelinux.org/ebuilds/...0070708.ebuild

In addition, fuse virtual fs's like fuseiso and sshfs urn entirely in userland, which has a load of advantages.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    There's not need to "update" xorg.conf each time you update xorg or nvidia-drivers.

I know the issue has changed, but are you sure about this? If I don't update xorg.conf with the nvidia settings and by adding dri and the other nvidia options, then x won't start. So, I have a "need" to update xorg.conf each time I update xorg or nvidia drivers.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus View Post
    I know the issue has changed, but are you sure about this? If I don't update xorg.conf with the nvidia settings and by adding dri and the other nvidia options, then x won't start. So, I have a "need" to update xorg.conf each time I update xorg or nvidia drivers.
    I don't know what do you mean.

You configure xorg.conf, and the forget about it. Unless you want to change your driver or any other option. xorg.conf is just a configuration file, you definitely don't need to change it each time you recompile nvidia-drivers.

You need to setup it the first time, then there's nothing you need to do.

If you feel this is wrong, try to explain a bit better why do you think that, maybe I am not understanding you, or maybe you are confusing xorg.conf with any other file.

Linux Engineer
    Sorry, I think that I was confusing the issue. From the way the original question was worded I assumed that he had never done the needed xorg updates the first time the nvidia driver is installed. There are a few different nvidia drivers, the one I currently use is "nv", while the previously used one was "nvidia". When I updated to the newer driver I had to update xorg.conf.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    I don't know what do you mean.

You configure xorg.conf, and then forget about it. Unless you want to change your driver or any other option. xorg.conf is just a configuration file, you definitely don't need to change it each time you recompile nvidia-drivers.

You need to setup it the first time, then there's nothing you need to do.

If you feel this is wrong, try to explain a bit better why do you think that, maybe I am not understanding you, or maybe you are confusing xorg.conf with any other file.
    EDIT: corrected "and the forget" by "and then forget".