Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I have another pc with getnoo installed. I remember I asked a friend to install it for me a very long time a go but never used it but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't log on

Hi!

I have another pc with getnoo installed. I remember I asked a friend to install it for me a very long time a go but never used it but now, when I finally have a use for the computer I can't access it - neither me or my friend remember the password so I pretty much don't know what to do.
    If there's no way to bypass the password is there a way to reinstall linux? (If yes, is it possible to do it by using a flash drive to transfer the installer as my pc doesn't have a cd writer :P)

Oh, and one more question - how can I access visual mode on gentoo.. or any other linux version ? :S

Thanks, I'm a complete beginner to linux :P

You can check here for how to reset root password. If you can't reset root password, then possible solutions would be booting from a flash disc, get a disc burned by a friend of yours, or order a distro. Or you could possibly do a netboot.
    how can I access visual mode on gentoo..
    what do you mean?
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by friiks View Post
    Hi!

I have another pc with getnoo installed. I remember I asked a friend to install it for me a very long time a go but never used it but now, when I finally have a use for the computer I can't access it - neither me or my friend remember the password so I pretty much don't know what to do.
    If there's no way to bypass the password is there a way to reinstall linux? (If yes, is it possible to do it by using a flash drive to transfer the installer as my pc doesn't have a cd writer :P)
    It's perfectly possible to restore a working password, you will need to do it manually, though. So, first you need to boot from a linux cd. Once you are at the command console, use "fdisk -l", it will list all the available partitions, you will need to indentify the one that holds your Gentoo installation.

Ask your friend and look at the "fdisk -l" output to find the right partition. Once you have identified it, you just need to do this (in this example, I assume that your Gentoo partition is /dev/hda1, but change it for the correct one for you).

Code:
    cd /mnt
    mkdir tmp
    mount /dev/hda1 tmp
    cd tmp
    mount -obind /sys sys
    mount -obind /proc proc
    mount -obind /dev dev
    chroot .
    source /etc/profile
    env-update
    passwd
    After the last command, you will be prompted for a new password twice. Make sure that caps lock is not on and type it twice (press enter writting it each time). Now it should be set, you can use the command "reboot" to restart your box. Make sure you take your livecd out of the tray and now try to login again with your new password.

Oh, and one more question - how can I access visual mode on gentoo.. or any other linux version ? :S

Thanks, I'm a complete beginner to linux :P
    Usually you install kdm or gdm and use a graphical login to access your desktop. But this is highly dependand of the distro you use. I don't know if you have Xorg installed, that's the first thing you need. After that, you probably want kde, gnome or xfce. These are the websites for each one so you can take a look:

GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project
    K Desktop Environment - Be free
    xfce4.org

Use google to search for additional screenshots and stuff about those. You can also download live distributions that are shipped with one or the other, so you can evaluate each one before you install it.

After you have decided, you might want to go to the Gentoo documentation repository to know how to install and configure Xorg (you need this regardless of the desktop that you choose):

Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The X Server Configuration HOWTO

And then one of those:

Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The KDE Configuration HOWTO
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The GNOME Configuration HOWTO
    Xfce/Installation - Gentoo Linux Wiki

Of course, you can ask here or in the gentoo forums if you have any concrete question about either of these:

Gentoo Forums :: Index

Also, bear in mind that I don't have a clue if any of those are already installed in your system... You should ask your friend for that.

You can also paste your /var/lib/portage/world file on some site like pastebin - collaborative debugging tool and then put a link here. That world file will contain the list of things that your friend emerged in your gentoo system. By looking at it, we can make ourselves an aproximate idea about what's installed on your system.

Lastly, I tell you one thing: if that installation is really old, you might have big big problems to update it. In that case, you should probably start all over again (either with Gentoo or whatever you preffer).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close