Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi guys,i am trying to make this things work but no success.i am installing gentoo and everything go's well but after i am installing X and gnome i am unpleased,i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i don't know what to install

hi guys,i am trying to make this things work but no success.i am installing gentoo and everything go's well but after i am installing X and gnome i am unpleased,i wan to make it look like in live dvd. Please what i need to install and how to make it work,now i will install again gentoo and i want it perfect.please help all i want to know is what to emerge,or my be i did some mistakes in install process.please guide me,where to find information i need.thanks anticipate.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Can you be more precise about what you mean by "it does not work"? If the installation went well, where exactly are you experiencing problems?

Just Joined!
    how to explain this...you sew a live dvd from ubuntu,i want it exactly,i have installed everything what i found,but i got errors,any way he doesn't mater anymore i just erased the hdd an i am preparing for a new install.what i wryly need is :if i am using pppoe i have to install DHCPD too? ,or can i keep the system profile default-linux/amd64 or i have to change it in desktop or server,what affects.And after i install xserver and full gnome couse i like gnome,it's suppose to work like in live cd right? Well not for me,what i mean is,when i try to open a folder is open another window and a loot of things like this.What USE flags to use for my gentoo ,i mean i have an amd6400 x2 and 4G ram and i want to use them.in the end my problem is what to install after install xorg,this is my primary problem,whit this please help.thanx

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sosoy77 View Post
    how to explain this...you sew a live dvd from ubuntu,i want it exactly
    That's easy to solve: Install ubuntu.

Seriusly, ubuntu has a lot of self-done artwork, probably custom themes for almost everything, and (also probably) a custom set of applications for administration. If you want to have all of these, you will need to port it yourself, and I don't suppose anyone is willing to do so.

Being that said, if what worries you are aesthetics, you don't need anything special to make *any* linux flavour look nice. Just install some themes for your desktop (gnome, kde or whatever it is), go to the control panel or whatever it is called in your desktop, and adjust them conveniently.

,i have installed everything what i found,but i got errors,any way he doesn't mater anymore i just erased the hdd an i am preparing for a new install.
    Unless something serious happens in the fashion of "oh, no, I screwen my toolchain" or "I wanna migrate from x86 to amd64", there's no need to reinstall.

,or can i keep the system profile default-linux/amd64 or i have to change it in desktop or server,what affects.
    You can keep the default. From default to desktop or server there's only a bit of difference in USE flags. But you can change the use flags anyway in your /etc/make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use

You shouldn't pick a no-multilib profile unless you know what you are doing (the default one, desktop and server are all safe in that regard).

And after i install xserver and full gnome couse i like gnome,it's suppose to work like in live cd right? Well not for me,what i mean is,when i try to open a folder is open another window
    No. When you install gnome it is supposed to work just like the gnome devs put it by default. You have to configure it. Please, tinker around in the gnome control panel to configure this things. And look into the nautilus options for the "new window" thing. This are easy things that demonstrate that you haven't even looked at what you installed.

Explore a bit, enjoy your desktop, and once you have looked around, if you have more concrete questions, feel free to come back and ask whatever you need to know

Just Joined!
    hi guys please help me whit this,i did install xorg-x11 i configured i startx and worked and after that i fallow the book:
    # echo "gnome-base/gnome-session branding" >> /etc/portage/package.use
    # emerge gnome-light
    # env-update && source /etc/profile
    # emerge gamin
    # /etc/init.d/hald start
    # rc-update add hald default

# /etc/init.d/dbus start
    # rc-update add dbus default

# /etc/init.d/avahi-dnsconfd start
    # rc-update add avahi-dnsconfd default
    $ echo "exec gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc
    and after that i reboot and when i try to startx i got this:
    (EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
    /root/.xinitrc:line 1:gnome-base/gnome-session:No such file or directory
    waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath:FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
    refcount is 2,should be 1;fixing.
    man i gues i have a gift or something,what i mean is ;can i have the most stable OS but in a few ours it's gone.Please help.thanks

Linux Guru
    (EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
    Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log and search for errors.

/root/.xinitrc:line 1:gnome-base/gnome-session:No such file or directory
    The xinitrc file is not there to put portage packages, it is a script that is launched when starting X. You put there your session manager, window manager or whatever you wanna start when launching X. You probably meant to put "gnome-session", instead of "gnome-base/gnome-session". The error message tells you clearly what the problem is: No such file or directory (was found). You need to put a real program name (like gnome-session) there.

man i gues i have a gift or something,what i mean is ;can i have the most stable OS but in a few ours it's gone.Please help.thanks
    Well, the system doesn't break alone. You are adding big things to it, and need to configure them for them to work properly.

Just Joined!
    thanx,but please how to
    and how to
    put a real program name (like gnome-session) there
    i am trying believe me,i don't get it.

Linux Guru
    thanx,but please how to
    and how to
    i am trying believe me,i don't get it.
    Sorry.

This is a so-called, "log-file". Log files are generated by applications, and are vital to diagnose problems. It's just a text file, you can open if with any text editor, for example:

Code:
    nano /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    If you don't know how to identify errors in this file, upload the whole file to pastebin - collaborative debugging tool or any other similar site, so we can review it and see what's the problem with your xorg.

Code:
    put a real program name (like gnome-session) there
    It's also a text file. Open it with

Code:
    nano ~/.xinitrc
    By the error you posted abouve, there should be some line about gnome-session into it. Probably it will contain only that line. So, erase it, and instead just type "gnome-session". Save the file and that should be ok.

Just Joined!
    i have run this
    echo "exec gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc
    as regular user and rc-update add xdm default and i edited /etc/conf.d/xdm i added DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm" and i start x as regular user an works but as root the same problem.and i don't know how to start pppoe at boot,my x server don't start at boot, got this
    ERROR :could not start the Disply Manager
    One of the files in /etc/{conf.d,init.d} or /etc/rc.conf
    has a modification time in the future!
    i try to change date as root but when i reboot i got the same thing.
    and nano ~/.xinitrc looks like this
    gnome-base/gnome-session
    and i have uploaded the File: /var/log/Xorg.0.log to http://pastebin.com/.as sosoy77,and how this thing work?what i mean is how to identify errors in this file?
    and another problem this is my /etc/fstab
    /dev/sda1 /boot mkreiserfs noauto,noatime 1 2
    /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/sda3 / mkreiserfs noatime 0 1
    /dev/sda5 /usr mkreiserfs noatime 0 1
    /dev/sda6 /home mkreiserfs noatime 0 1
    /dev/sda7 /home1 mkreiserfs noatime 0 1

none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0
    and this is nano /boot/grub/grub.conf
    # Which listing to boot as default. 0 is the first, 1 the second etc.
    default 0
    # How many seconds to wait before the default listing is booted.
    timeout 30
    # Nice, fat splash-image to spice things up
    # Comment out if you don't have a graphics card installed
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.23-r8
    # Partition where the kernel image (or operating system) is located
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.23-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/sda3 ro

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.23-r8 (rescue)
    # Partition where the kernel image (or operating system) is located
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.23-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/sda3 init=/bin/bb

now my question: how supose to look this if i want to load all partition at boot.
    thanx anticipate

Linux Newbie
    Oh god it's all about configuration. No matter whatever you emerge, you need to configure it anyways. And if you are not familiar with manually configuring packages and other software, I would also suggest that you start with an easier distro like Ubuntu or Fedora or so. If it's the look what matters to you, also in that case I'd also encourage you to try another distro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast