Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I wanted to have a look at gentoo but the live cd does not boot to a gui. it seems to recognize the cards and attempts to boot a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

live cd does not boot gui

Hi
    I wanted to have a look at gentoo but the live cd does not boot to a gui.
    it seems to recognize the cards and attempts to boot a gui but fails and rests at a root prompt.
    I have not attempted an install as I have no idea what I would be installing.
    did I not enter a cheatcode at boot or does the live cd not actually load a gui?
    if there is a solution please post it and I will try again thanks

LiveCD loads GUI by default but it looks like it couldn't configure your Graphics Card properly. Which Graphics Card do you have?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    The card is an agp ati 3d rage pro I think..will have to reload or look in the box..but it is agp ati rage pro...gentoo posted the card and also the snd card...this test box only has 800x600...is p3 600 w/256 + swap...perhaps spec is too low...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Hi
    I wanted to have a look at gentoo but the live cd does not boot to a gui.
    it seems to recognize the cards and attempts to boot a gui but fails and rests at a root prompt.
    I have not attempted an install as I have no idea what I would be installing.
    did I not enter a cheatcode at boot or does the live cd not actually load a gui?
    if there is a solution please post it and I will try again thanks

Many things:

1.- the graphical livecd is crap, and it doesn't work well for a lot of people. It didn't since it was first born. And it doesn't right now either. Being that said, if you still want to use it, boot, wait, edit (with nano, for example) /etc/X11/xorg.conf, search for a Section "Device", then into it, for a line starting with Driver "....." and change it to Driver "vesa". Close and save.

Now use "startx" to fire up the gui.

2.- Be aware that the graphical installer has caused serious data loss in the past. I don't know it's current state, but I wouldn't risk.

3.- I really urge you to do a manual install based on the handbook. Consider it a ceremony to enter Gentoo. You really need to know how to perform most of the basic task you learn during the installation on a regular basis. So, if you are not willing to get your hands dirty and actually learn something, you are going to spend a bad (short) time on Gentoo.

Just Joined!
    Well I can open nano and ctrlR to read a file...it is wanting a file in./ so I typed etc/x11/xorg.config and /etc/X11/xorg.config and every other combo I could conjure but it just says file not found...I really do not want to try and create the file...this is a live cd and there are lots of them...I do not mind getting dirty but not cleaning up someone elses mess..lol...maby another time. if I could see it maby it is worth the trouble of manual install...the site posts no screenshot or list of apps...sounds like cli bliss to me..who knows????

Linux Guru
    Well I can open nano and ctrlR to read a file...it is wanting a file in./ so I typed etc/x11/xorg.config and /etc/X11/xorg.config and every other combo I could conjure but it just says file not found...
    Just using "nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf" in the command line should work, however, it should load it from inside nano as well if the path is correct...

Remember that in command line you can use TAB to autocomplete paths, so you make sure that the command you are typing contains a valid path.

I really do not want to try and create the file...this is a live cd and there are lots of them...I do not mind getting dirty but not cleaning up someone elses mess..lol...maby another time.
    The command line install "just works" (TM). I would go that way anyway, as I told you above.

I understand that it can be a bit scary for a newcomer, but one you get into it, and with a bit of help, it is not really that difficult The handbook is wonderful, and you can ask for help in the Gentoo forums where you will find a lot of people willing to help you.

I agree with you above: getting your hands dirty is ok, cleaning someone else's mess is not. And the graphical livecd/dvd is a complete mess, since if was first born.

if I could see it maby it is worth the trouble of manual install...the site posts no screenshot or list of apps...sounds like cli bliss to me..who knows????
    There's nothing to see. The manual install is made into a command line, nothing to see on a screenshot. And the resulting system is the same that you'd get with a graphical install. In other words: you are not going to get an uglier Gentoo or something like that. Both ways, you are the one that decides what to install.

Just Joined!
    Oh..so it is kinda like a linux from scratch only all the parts are in a pile instead of collecting them...do I need a different cd..someone gave me this one and said good luck. it is the live or can I manual install from this and add gui...maby I better get that manual and have a look see

I agree with i92guboj, the LiveCD is crap and you shouldn't have to "make it work". Gentoo is pretty much like any other Linux distro once you get it installed, so screen shots don't really tell you all that much. What is different about Gentoo is "Under the Hood".

I think, the best way to install Gentoo, for a newbie is to use the Alternate Install method using Knoppix or any other LiveCD.
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The Gentoo Linux alternative installation method HOWTO
    This way, you get to use your PC while Gentoo installs (It may take many hours or a few days to install Gentoo). Whichever method you decide to use, good luck and let us know how it goes.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    Oh..so it is kinda like a linux from scratch only all the parts are in a pile instead of collecting them...do I need a different cd..someone gave me this one and said good luck. it is the live or can I manual install from this and add gui...maby I better get that manual and have a look see
    As MikeTbob said above, the only thing you need to install gentoo is the gentoo handbook. You can use any livecd, as long as it has the basic tools you need to partition and format your disks, and uncompress the stage of your choice. There's little more you need to install gentoo.

Everything is detailed into the handbooks.

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys...and for the link...seems I want it more as I can not have it right away. but I need to get smart...my current linux test box is a p3-600 with 256 meg ram and 6gig...where do I get all the facts for hardware...and I still did not get the manual...is that on the gentoo page? I must have missed it in haste..will go there now....I feel dirty already..haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast