Find the answer to your Linux question:
As i was trying to fix or add a second monitor i messed up my Xorg and Sessions. I can startx without problems but i can't get to the Sabayon ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't get login screen again....HELP?

As i was trying to fix or add a second monitor i messed up my Xorg and Sessions. I can startx without problems but i can't get to the Sabayon login screen and session chooser. All i get is Xorg to show three white Xterm boxes which i basically have to write exit to get out of them.

I need to return the distro to the default login screen and/or be able to choose a session or Xwindow manager again.

Where do i set this defaults? Where can i change what X loads?

In using runtime 3.
    Last edited by codex73; 02-23-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: nobody seems to be helping.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by codex73 View Post
    As i was trying to fix or add a second monitor i messed up my Xorg and Sessions. I can startx without problems but i can't get to the Sabayon login screen and session chooser. All i get is Xorg to show three white Xterm boxes which i basically have to write exit to get out of them.

I need to return the distro to the default login screen and/or be able to choose a session or Xwindow manager again.

Where do i set this defaults? Where can i change what X loads?

In using runtime 3.
    Sabayon is not Gentoo. So I don't know if this will work entirely.

First look if xdm is started on each runlevel. To do so, use this command:

Code:
    rc-update show
    If xdm is marked as active in the default runlevel, then open /etc/conf.d/xdm in a text editor, and look for a line like this:

Code:
    DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm"
    The xdm part might be different, but it should be a correct display manager which you have installed. It usually is either xdm, kdm, gdm, entrance or slim. There are several others that are not too famous though.

If xdm is not configured to start on the 3rd runlevel (named "default" in Gentoo). Then you should be prompted with a text screen login.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Ok , this worked partially. Sabayon is Gentoo Based, but i know its not Gentoo.

I can call gdm and it will give me to the default login screen where i can then choose the session i want (kde, gnome, ect). The problem now that i have is that no matter where i change the runtime to in inittab it gives me a login prompt text instead of the graphical.

All i want is to have the system boot the gdm or graphical interface login screen byitself.

Before i was only calling startx so it didnt work.

How can i make it load the Graphical login again.??? Any ideas anyone??

Don't know if this is your problem, and never used Sabayon, but it *sounds* like your /etc/inittab is not set to boot to Multi-user. That might be it's set for runlevel 3 when it needs to be changed to 5 or so. It should list which runlevel is which number so you can know. Different distros have Multi-user at different numbers. In mine, Mulit-user is runlevel 2. Check it to see if the default runlevel got changed.
    Here's my inittab just as a reference...
    Code:
    # Runlevels:
    #  0    Halt
    #  1(S) Single-user
    #  2    Multi-user
    #  3-5  Not used
    #  6    Reboot

id:2:initdefault:
    Hope this helps...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    It is set to multiuser. The only problem that i have know is that i have to manually call GDM in order to get the Graphical Login Prompt. No matter which run level i choose it will give me the shell login (black screen).

gdm might be disabled in the init. In Crux there is an /etc/rc.conf where you tell it to start gdm, kdm, cups, etc. in /etc/rc.d. I think Gentoo has an /etc/rc.conf or /etc/conf.d. Open whichever with your favourite editor and see if gdm is listed there to start. Also, check in /etc/init.d and see if gdm is there.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    gdm might be disabled in the init. In Crux there is an /etc/rc.conf where you tell it to start gdm, kdm, cups, etc. in /etc/rc.d. I think Gentoo has an /etc/rc.conf or /etc/conf.d. Open whichever with your favourite editor and see if gdm is listed there to start. Also, check in /etc/init.d and see if gdm is there.
    Gentoo has an /etc/runlevels/ dir. Into it, you can find many subdirs: boot, default.... Those match the runlevels defined in /etc/inittab:

l0:0:wait:/sbin/rc shutdown
    l1:S1:wait:/sbin/rc single
    l2:2:wait:/sbin/rc nonetwork
    l3:3:wait:/sbin/rc default
    l4:4:wait:/sbin/rc default
    l5:5:wait:/sbin/rc default
    l6:6:wait:/sbin/rc reboot
    #z6:6:respawn:/sbin/sulogin
    To add a given service to a given runlevel, you'd just cd into /etc/runlevels/<given_runlevel>/ and then symlink the service into that dir. But that shouldn't be necesary. The standard way in Gentoo is this:

rc-update add servide runlevel
    For example:

rc-update add xdm default

Then you fire up the service (this is not necesary, this is just to avoid needing to reboot to load the service)

/etc/init.d/xdm start
    The next time you bootup, the service should start automatically, as long as you start on the same runlevel that you added your service to.

EDIT: Once more: this is for Gentoo, so, I can't guarantee that it will work on Sabayon. Also, even if you use Sabayon, you should save yourself some pain and read the Gentoo handbook. Taking the easy way is not easy in Gentoo.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your help