Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to use OpenVZ, and I decided to use Gentoo as my host OS. I just installed Gentoo according to the handbook, and I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OpenVZ <arch>

I want to use OpenVZ, and I decided to use Gentoo as my host OS. I just installed Gentoo according to the handbook, and I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly and very close to what was suggested there. Anyway, now I want to install OpenVZ and I'm going by this how-to Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo OpenVZ Howto

<arch>, <KERNELVERSION>, and <OPENVZVERSION> are variables, right?

I'm guessing KERNELVERSION is 2.6.24-gentoo-r3 (that's what showed up when I #ls -l /usr/src/linux as I was installing Gentoo)

OPENVZVERSION likewise would be 2.6.18-openvz-028.053-r2 (that's what I see now with the same command)

but what is <arch>?

Also, for future reference, how do I find out what kernel version is installed (as it no longer shows up in #ls -l /usr/src/linux)?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubidot View Post
    I want to use OpenVZ, and I decided to use Gentoo as my host OS. I just installed Gentoo according to the handbook, and I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly and very close to what was suggested there. Anyway, now I want to install OpenVZ and I'm going by this how-to Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo OpenVZ Howto

<arch>, <KERNELVERSION>, and <OPENVZVERSION> are variables, right?
    Yes. You can use ls to see the correct name of the directory. You can also use TAB to autocomplete.

Also, for future reference, how do I find out what kernel version is installed (as it no longer shows up in #ls -l /usr/src/linux)?

Thanks
    You can use "uname -a" to see the complete name of the running kernel.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help! I was afraid no one would answer

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close