Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been playing around with Sabayon Linux for a little while now (a derivative of Gentoo), and I'm having a little difficulty with portage. I'm currently trying to update GCC, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

System freeze at "Splitting for gcj"

I've been playing around with Sabayon Linux for a little while now (a derivative of Gentoo), and I'm having a little difficulty with portage. I'm currently trying to update GCC, and my system keeps hanging at this point:
    Making all in gcj
    Making all in include
    Making all in classpath
    Making all in lib
    Adding java source files from srcdir '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.2.3/work/gcc-4.2.3/libjava/classpath'
    Adding java source files from VM directory /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.2.3/work/gcc-4.2.3/libjava
    Adding java source files from VM directory /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.2.3/work/build/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/libjava
    Adding generated files in builddir '..'.
    Splitting for gcj
    It ends there; my system stops responding and my hard drive light quits blinking - my only option is a hard reboot. Does anybody have a clue what could be causing this (maybe some settings in my make.conf)?

Linux Guru
    Sabayon is not the most stable thing around.

If you don't need gcj (if you don't know what's that, then you don't need it) you can try to disable it. Put "-gcj" in your USE flags, into your /etc/make.conf file.

I can't help much more with Sabayon. I think they use non suported c/cxxflags, and add custom patches into the toolchain. So I can't be sure where to look.

If stability is a concern, I'd suggest using Gentoo instead.

In the genoo bugzilla I have found in the past lots of errors related to gcj, but none of them implied a hangup. In any case, there's a possibility that this is due to a patched kernel using some funky fs (reiser4?), a patched i/o or task scheduler or even a hardware failure (overheating, broken ram... you can discard these by monitoring your cpu for temperature while compiling, and by using memtest86+ to check your ram).

Those are just some possible causes. I can't really give any concrete help since I am not a Sabayon user.