Find the answer to your Linux question:
have fluxbox installed and I am experiencing two problems with it. The problems are that keys doesn't work and fluxbox-generate_menu doesn't find all of the programs i have installed. none ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fluxbox problems

have fluxbox installed and I am experiencing two problems with it. The problems are that keys doesn't work and fluxbox-generate_menu doesn't find all of the programs i have installed. none of my hot keys work i tried all different keys to assign commands to like ctrl, alt and the penguin key.fluxbox-generate_menu wont detect that i have aterm installed and some other programs don't show up in the menu.

so how do i fix theses two problems with keys and with fluxbox-generate_menu.

i dont really know what info to post so if anyone can help but requires some info from me then just tell me and i will post what is needed.

thanks in advance!

-tralfas

I would say the simplest way to solve the menu problem is simply to edit your ~/.fluxbox/menu file by hand. You can see from the existing entries what you need to type.

Hot keys are listed in ~/.fluxbox/keys. Do you have anything in this file?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I agree with Hazel. However, bear in mind that the more things you put in your menu file, the slower Fluxbox will fire up when you start your computer. I actually have very few things in my menu file, just limiting myself to stuff my children or my wife use. For the rest, I use the good ol' terminal.
    Note the syntax you need to use to edit this:

Code:
    [submenu] (name of your submenu) <icon, if you want one>
      [exec] (name of application) {command} <icon>
    [end]
    The above defines one command that will appear under one submenu. Here is what I have in my menu file:

Code:
    [begin] (fluxbox)
    [exec] (Terminal) {/usr/bin/Eterm} </usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-terminal.xpm>

[submenu] (Office) </usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-term-linux.png>
          [exec] (OpenOffice.org Impress) {/usr/bin/ooimpress} </usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/apps/openofficeorg-20-impress.xpm>
          [exec] (OpenOffice.org Draw) {/usr/bin/oodraw} </usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/apps/openofficeorg-20-draw.xpm>
          [exec] (OpenOffice.org Base) {/usr/bin/oobase} </usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/apps/openofficeorg-20-base.xpm>
          [exec] (Scribus) {/usr/bin/scribus} </usr/share/pixmaps/scribus.xpm>
    [end]
    [submenu] (Music and video)
          [exec] (Hydrogen) {/usr/bin/hydrogen} </usr/share/pixmaps/hydrogen.xpm>
          [exec] (Audacity) {/usr/bin/audacity} </usr/share/audacity/audacity.xpm>
          [exec] (KRec) {/usr/bin/krec} <>
    [end]
    [submenu] (Games)
          [exec] (vegastrike) {/usr/games/vegastrike} <>
          [exec] (Neverball) {/usr/games/neverball} <>
          [exec] (Neverputt) {/usr/games/neverputt} <>
          [exec] (njam) {/usr/bin/njam} <>
          [exec] (Planet Penguin Racer) {/usr/games/ppracer} </usr/share/pixmaps/ppracer.xpm>
          [exec] (Tuxkart) {/usr/games/tuxkart} </usr/share/pixmaps/tuxkart.xpm>
          [exec] (Commodore 64) {/usr/bin/x64} </usr/share/pixmaps/c64icon-32x28.xpm>
          [exec] (UAE) {/usr/bin/uae} </usr/share/pixmaps/uae-menu.xpm>
    [end]
    [separator]
          [exec] (Lock Screen) {/usr/bin/xscreensaver-command -lock} <>
          [exec] (Reboot) {/sbin/reboot}
          [exec] (Shutdown) {/sbin/halt} <>
    [end]
    Note that if you still want to generate an automatic menu, you can do this by entering the following command as root, while logged out of Fluxbox:

Code:
    # update-menus
    As I said, you need to be logged out of Fluxbox for this to work, so you can do this in single-user mode, or by pressing Ctrl, Alt and F2 while at the log in Window. When you log back into Fluxbox, you should have the automatically generated menu. However, as I said, I don't like this as it takes some of the 'punch' out of Flux.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Manchunian, just out of curiosity, would the code you posted also work for configuring IceWM? Or are there just subtle differences?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I haven't used IceWM very much - Dapper Dan is the IceWM guy on this site. However, I don't think the syntax is the same. I've found a little guide here if you're curious.

Cool, thanks for the link! Looks like some good stuff. If this doesn't have what I need, look forward to a new thread!

And you actually have a C64 emulator on your panel? That's just awesome!!!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

And you actually have a C64 emulator on your panel?
    Oh yes I do! I also have an Atari XE, Atari ST and an Amiga emulator! I'm just an 80s kid who likes to remember the good old times, but it's more than that! The games for these machines were truly superb.

Edit: if you want to start a new thread about this stuff, I'll be more than happy to share all my little secrets!!

Linux User
    You mention a penguin key... do you have a Cherry CyMotion Master Linux keyboard?

If so you might find this link helpfull in getting it all working under Fluxbox:
    Into.the.Void. 2007 February 20
    If you are using the keyboard with usb and not ps2, then you won't need the /etc/init.d/cherry file.

Just Joined!
    LOL i fixed the problem what was wrong was that my init was pointing to the wrong files some how they started pointing to /usr/shared/fluxbox/keys so i simply pointed them in the right direction to the real files.

continue talking its cool especially about the emulators lol