Find the answer to your Linux question:
so i have never used linux but i want be able to watch steaming video on my ps3. i dont have a pc so its been really hard just to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help me linux my ps3

so i have never used linux but i want be able to watch steaming video on my ps3. i dont have a pc so its been really hard just to find all the info to do this. ive also realized i will need help with this whole process. so if someone is down to help me please respond. i also have some basi questions before we would start.

will this in any way damage my ps3?
    can i remove linux easily if i dont want it, without loosing previous saved material?
    what will linux change on my ps3?

Hi david.keever
    I can't answer your questions because I have never tried this. But I did find a decent looking HOWTo, with screenshots, so that should be a big help. Good luck and please post back if you get stuck.
    Installing Linux onto your Sony PS3 :: TweakTown
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by david.keever View Post
    will this in any way damage my ps3?
    No.
    can i remove linux easily if i dont want it, without loosing previous saved material?
    Yes and No, you will need to format the internal drive, meaning unless you back things up you will lose anything on the drive.
    what will linux change on my ps3?
    Not sure what you mean, it's only software...

BTW Flash is hit or miss on PPC, since Adobe doesn't provide a plugin you'll need to use an alternative which may or may not work with some sites. So if that's your only reason for doing this, then it may not be worth it...

Try this site

Terra Soft -- Linux for Cell, PlayStation PS3, QS20, QS21, QS22, IBM System p, Mercury Cell, and Apple PowerPC.

You'll find free downloads and plenty of info if you look.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I believe (can't be certain --not an eyewitness myself) that you can install Linux on an external hard drive and have it launch from there, meaning the internal drive can be left alone (more or less) and you loose no default PS3 functionality.