Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have had other distros that just set everything up for you and with gentoo its not this way. one of the things i haven't figured out yet is how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

playing cds and dvds

i have had other distros that just set everything up for you and with gentoo its not this way. one of the things i haven't figured out yet is how to be able to pop in a cd and play the songs on it or watch a dvd.

if you could enlighten me as to how to do this that would be awesome!!

thanks in advance!!!

-tralfas

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I've not used Gentoo for almost a year now, but I think you need to tinker with hal and udev to achieve your goals. This article may help you.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tralfas View Post
    i have had other distros that just set everything up for you and with gentoo its not this way. one of the things i haven't figured out yet is how to be able to pop in a cd and play the songs on it or watch a dvd.

if you could enlighten me as to how to do this that would be awesome!!

thanks in advance!!!

-tralfas
    I find those things annoying, but I understand that someone else might find that functionality useful/cool.

As long as you are running hal, I think that gnome has some kind of autoplay. KDE might as well, I don't know, never bothered to look into it.

Anything else, will require some amount of scripting. I've seen topics like this from time to time in forums.gentoo.org, so maybe you can look there and see if someone has a better answer.

Just Joined!
    For a gnome system this link is better imho HOWTO gnome-volume-manager - Gentoo Linux Wiki

For KDE i haven't tried but there is something similar.