Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi all, Well, I've downloaded Gentoo, and burned it to a dvd. When I try to run the install, the cd starts loading, then just when the install is about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Can't get install to run

Hi all,

Well, I've downloaded Gentoo, and burned it to a dvd. When I try to run the install, the cd starts loading, then just when the install is about to begin, the screen freezes.

So, I thought maybe that I have some corrupted files or something along those lines, so I downloaded it again, this time from another site. Now, when I burn the .iso to the disc, nothing happens at all when I try to run install. Went into BIOS to make sure cd-rom was booting first, it was. But still, the install doesn't start....I've went through four downloads and different cd's so far, and now I'm at a loss....any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Did you do the md5checksum indicated in the handbook?

Are you following the handbook to install?

Linux Newbie
    md5checksum turned up ok; and haven't gotten far enough into the install to screw anything up (yet, lol)....like I said, as soon as I boot the install, it freezes.

Question....and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but when I try to boot in -nofb mode, it does recognize my cpu and hardware, then right after that, it says that the interpreter is activated. And that's where it gets stuck at. I'm assuming that since it passes the hardware test, there is something wrong with the install disk. BUT, like I said, md5checksum didn't turn up anything, and I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct distro. (I have x86; 32 bit cpu....using this distro- http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/am...08.0_beta1.iso)

So, really not sure what the problem is....

**Edit** Don't click the link above....I put the wrong link up....this link automatically starts the download.

OK so install media is OK. But are you running the installer or setting the system up following the handbook instructions. I can't tell from your reply if your problem is running the installer or booting the system from the DVD.
    If its running the installer ... I suggest you save yourself some trouble and use the handbook install method.

Linux Newbie
    I'm trying to follow the manual the best I can, but I keep getting an error message "must load kernel before....."

Sorry, I'm a noob....how do I load the kernel?

If you are using the livecd from the link you posted, that is for amd64, which is 64 bit. From what little you have told us about your computer, you said it was a 32 bit cpu. You need the i686 livecd instead. That is probably the reason for the hang-up.

Please post your hardware so that we may be able to help you more.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    If you are using the livecd from the link you posted, that is for amd64, which is 64 bit. From what little you have told us about your computer, you said it was a 32 bit cpu. You need the i686 livecd instead. That is probably the reason for the hang-up.

Please post your hardware so that we may be able to help you more.

Hello,

I'm not sure exactly what you need to know, sorry if I miss anything.

x86

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family

Video Processor Intel(R) GMA 3000 256MB memory

Max CPU Speed 3800 MHz 4GB RAM 250GB Hard Drive 320GB External Drive

ASUSTek Buckeye mainboard

Not sure if there's any other relevant information I may have missed, let me know...

Linux Newbie
    Forgot to mention, have Windows XP on C: drive, Ubuntu on the external drive. Also for some reason I have a few grubs on my system from previous installs of Fedora8, OpenSolaris (never completed that install) and Mandriva.

Anyway, I just downloaded i686 Gentoo, still having the exact same problems....

Ok, you have a Core 2 Duo, which can be 32 bit (i686, x86) or 64 bit (x86_64, amd64).

Have you ran a memtest for the memory yet? It sounds like your RAM is a likely candidate for the hanging. Memtest should be on the livecd.

One note also, is that you can install gentoo from any livecd that you can boot. It doesn't have to be an official "Gentoo" livecd, it can be ubuntu, knoppix, etc... Just boot into the live environment, and follow the gentoo handbook starting with section 4: "Preparing The Disks".

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    Ok, you have a Core 2 Duo, which can be 32 bit (i686, x86) or 64 bit (x86_64, amd64).

Have you ran a memtest for the memory yet? It sounds like your RAM is a likely candidate for the hanging. Memtest should be on the livecd

I do know for certain that it is 32 bit, so I tried the i686...as for the memtest, I tried to run that and also "Help" from the disk, and got an error message preventing me from accessing either of those services.
    Now, something else weird just happened...I tried to start up Ubuntu because Windows crashed on me (surprise surprise), and now I get a error code saying that there is no boot file active for Ubuntu.

One note also, is that you can install gentoo from any livecd that you can boot. It doesn't have to be an official "Gentoo" livecd, it can be ubuntu, knoppix, etc... Just boot into the live environment, and follow the gentoo handbook starting with section 4: "Preparing The Disks".
    I have a live cd of Mandriva, it starts up fine, just tested it a few minutes ago....so now I'm really at a loss...been through seven installs, 4 downloads, 4 cd's/dvds and lord knows how many hours out of the past few days, and still stuck at step 1. I will never be able to hear the phrase "It just works" again without chuckling to myself, lol...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast