Find the answer to your Linux question:
could any1 tell me how you set xmms to alsa?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting xmms to alsa

could any1 tell me how you set xmms to alsa?

Just Joined!
    Ctrl+P > Audio I/O Plugins> Output plugin> Alsa

Anyway why would you still have XMMS? It's been deprecated for ages. Get a new player like audacious (XMMS just better) or amarok (THE Player)

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaste View Post
    Ctrl+P > Audio I/O Plugins> Output plugin> Alsa
    You need to make sure, of course, that you installed the alsa output plugin. It should come into a separate ebuild.

Anyway why would you still have XMMS? It's been deprecated for ages. Get a new player like audacious (XMMS just better) or amarok (THE Player)
    Maybe because it just takes 5-6 mb or ram (gtk1), instead of 40-200mb like audacious (gtk2) or amarok (qt). Anyway, it's his/her personal choice.

@Michael_Stephen, if you ever want to change, I'd suggest moc, which is maintained and updated from time to time, if you can stand a text only player. It's what I use and it serves me well. No fancy graphics nor visualization plugins though...

There's also xmms2, which is not tied to any toolkit since it's being built with a server architecture, but the few times I looked into it I didn't like the way it works. It's not light either.

EDIT: Some moderator, please, erase my post above. I don't know what happened :P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    Maybe because it just takes 5-6 mb or ram (gtk1), instead of 40-200mb like audacious (gtk2) or amarok (qt). Anyway, it's his/her personal choice.
    Of course it is, that's why we all like Gentoo. But running unsupported software as bug ridden as xmms + GTK1 is close too madness even for someone rather experienced, which i doubt s/he is if s/he asks here.
    Anyway the question was an honest non-rethorical one. I just wanted to know the reason and if s/he is aware of the implications.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaste View Post
    Of course it is, that's why we all like Gentoo. But running unsupported software as bug ridden as xmms + GTK1 is close too madness even for someone rather experienced, which i doubt s/he is if s/he asks here.
    Anyway the question was an honest non-rethorical one. I just wanted to know the reason and if s/he is aware of the implications.
    Well, that's true, xmms is unsupported by Gentoo, and dead upstream virtually. Yes, there was some kind of release few weeks ago, but it's just a release for the sake of releasing. The Changelog doesn't contain anything, tne the notice on their web is this:

XMMS 1.2.11 Released

1211 days ago we released 1.2.10, so what better day to release 1.2.11? Download source
    Stupid, if you ask me.

But since s/he obviously is using an overlay (xmms is long ago gone from portage) you can be sure the s/he knows that it's unsupported stuff, because s/he needed to:

1.- setup a local overlay or alternatively setup layman
    2.- pick the ebuilds or an overlay holding the xmms ebuilds
    3.- download by hand stuff and put it into /var/portage/distfiles, because most plugins are not available from the former locations

Don's misunderstand me: I am the first one to disregard xmms. I advice against it. But if someone is using xmms, you can be sure that the last thing s/he (usually, not like this is carved in stone) wants to hear is "use amarok or audacious instead".