Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey ya'll i was wondering if anyone knows a way to install sabayon linux v3.4 with out using a cd rom drive, as my laptop's drive has gone out. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing sabayon w/ out cd rom drive

Hey ya'll

i was wondering if anyone knows a way to install sabayon linux v3.4 with out using a cd rom drive, as my laptop's drive has gone out. I have already tried using unetboot, and an external cd rom drive. Can anyone help?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by silentmyst View Post
    Hey ya'll

i was wondering if anyone knows a way to install sabayon linux v3.4 with out using a cd rom drive, as my laptop's drive has gone out. I have already tried using unetboot, and an external cd rom drive. Can anyone help?
    And what's the problem with an external cdrom drive, if I may ask?

Just Joined!
    My bios doesn't have a option to boot from it.

Linux Guru
    Well, that's a good reason

I am not familiar with Sabayon but if you can boot any linux then we might be able to mount the compressed image (I suppose it's just a squashfs compressed image) and install manually or even chroot and launch the instalation scripts by hand.

Do you have a way to boot from an usb drive or a floppy disk? Do you have any other distro installed on that laptop?

Just Joined!
    Haha yeah thats a good reason lol

I currently have dual booted windows and Freespire Linux and i also have ubuntu on one of my older desktops. I also have the capability to boot from a USB device, a usb stick or hard drive would be an option. I currently have a 150gb hard drive & a 2 gb flash drive, either we could use.
    Last edited by silentmyst; 04-17-2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: more details