Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got a problem with /etc/init.d/net.eth0 which seems like it should be relatively easy, but I don't see where things could be going wrong (my configuration very simple). After a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] /etc/init.d/net.eth0 stopped working

I've got a problem with /etc/init.d/net.eth0 which seems like it should be relatively easy, but I don't see where things could be going wrong (my configuration very simple). After a world update I now find that /etc/init.d/net.eth0 no longer connects to my router (dhcp setup). However, if I just call dhcpcd eth0 then I get connected straight away.

Excerpt from /etc/conf.d/net

Code:
    modules_eth0=( "dhcpcd" )
    modules=( "ifconfig" )
    config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
    Instead of assigning an ip address like usual, now I just get Backgrounding...

Code:
    /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
     * Caching service dependencies ...                                       [ ok ]
     * Stopping eth0
     *   Bringing down eth0
     *     Stopping dhcpcd on eth0 ...                                        [ ok ]
     *     Shutting down eth0 ...                                             [ ok ]
     * Starting eth0
     *   Starting netplug on eth0 ...                                         [ ok ]
     *     Backgrounding ...
    I definitly use dhcpcd and ifconfig, so don't worry about those. Any suggestions?
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Did you have netplug installed before ?

Netplug will always go into the background.

I do not know exactly what the problem is ... the only thing I can sasy is that I use ifplug instead of netplug ... and I have not had a problem with DHCP on my ethernet connections.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

Linux Guru
    Recently, baselayout 2.x hit ~arch. If you updated it without paying attention to the emerge messages then you are going to have some problems.

Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Baselayout and OpenRC Migration Guide

If you are running in the stable branch and your baselayout is still 1.x, then ignore my post.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    1.) Netplug has always been installed.

2.) I am running stable baselayout. (sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.11.1) Although I'm not always good about checking the build messages from portage, so it was a good suggestion.

Hopefully this will focus the issue: I suspect that the problem is that dhcp (dhcpcd) is never actually being called despite the fact that I have it in the config file. (it should default to that as well if I were to have no config file, which I have tried with no success). So, since dhcpcd is never called, I never get an ip address and so none of the other services ever start (ssh, apache, etc...) What could either be keeping dhcp from starting and/or messing it up. Especially since it works alone from the command line (dhcpcd eth0).
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:

Just checking, but you did run "etc-update" after updating, correct?

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Yes I did run etc-update. I also tried things such as revdep-rebuild to see if some dependency had been left in the dust.

Right now I'm using a useful but poor workaround:

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 starts on boot but never connects the interface

Then since the other services depend upon net.eth0 and refuse to start, I have to call them manually with start-stop-daemon.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully someone things of something more, but otherwise I'll repost if I figure out what is happening.
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:

I've figured out the problem, and it was quite strange. Due to user error ::cough:: I had to copy over some files from the gentoo livecd. When analysing the output from /etc/init.d/net.eth0 I noticed that netplug was always initiated, but nothing else after that was starting. While investigating netplug I noticed that it existed in /sbin, but when I looked with "emerge -s netplug" portage didn't see netplug as being installed.

By removing /sbin/netplug, /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start now worked! Just by existing, the init script tried to use netplug but since it didn't really exist in full, it prevented the rest of the script to run.
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation: