Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, i just ordered new pieces of software for my new server. - Intel Quad Core - 8 gb ram I found out that the best for me is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Gentoo image , for Intel Quad core

Hi guys, i just ordered new pieces of software for my new server.
    - Intel Quad Core
    - 8 gb ram

I found out that the best for me is gentoo, i have used it before however that was on a 32 bit crap machine with 1 ghz. Intel pentium 3.

I was wondering, what image should i use from the gentoo site to get best performance regarding to my hardware ?

Gentoo Linux -- Where to Get Gentoo Linux
    Gentoo 2007.0 LiveCD
    (up to 700 megabytes depending on arch)
    i686 <-- Should i choose i686 ?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by peec View Post
    Hi guys, i just ordered new pieces of software for my new server.
    - Intel Quad Core
    - 8 gb ram

I found out that the best for me is gentoo, i have used it before however that was on a 32 bit crap machine with 1 ghz. Intel pentium 3.

I was wondering, what image should i use from the gentoo site to get best performance regarding to my hardware ?

Gentoo Linux -- Where to Get Gentoo Linux
    Gentoo 2007.0 LiveCD
    (up to 700 megabytes depending on arch)
    i686 <-- Should i choose i686 ?
    That depends. Do you want to go the 64 bits way, or do you want to go 32 bits?

If you want to use your cpu in 32 bits mode, then choose the i686 stage. If you want to use 64 bits (probably a good thing for a server) you should use amd64. You should also consider using one of the stages from Daniel Robbins, which are update weekly, and should be stable (no custom stuff, they are just like the official stages, but more up-to-date, using only stuff from the stable branch). They will help you to prevent some problems, like the infamous libexpat bug that is still hitting people using the 2007 stages.

You can find the Daniel Robbins stages here:

Index of /linux

He is also building stages specific for core64, but I can't comment on those. I think they are experimental. Amd64 is generic for 64 bits. Once you have it installed, you can setup your cflags adequately and go on with that.

a 64-bit installation is definitely a better choice with 8 GB of ram

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    a 64-bit installation is definitely a better choice with 8 GB of ram
    Yes.

The regular indirection scheme on x86 will not let you adress more than ~4gb. You can enable high memory usage on the kernel. But it will slow down the whole thing. I'd go 64 bits on such machine.

I have a quad core (Intel Q6600) with 8 GB ram, and 64 bit works great. I wouldn't even think of putting a 32 bit OS on here.

You will probably want to use the 2008.0_beta1 image (profile) to install with.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    Thxn for good answers. Yea i will go for 64 bit , or i wouldn't have bought 8 gb ram