Find the answer to your Linux question:
I hate sounding rude, but: why is this forum here? For gentoo-specific questions, the gentoo forums are merely GREAT. I don't know of an official debian or slackware forum, so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What's the point of this forum?

I hate sounding rude, but: why is this forum here?
    For gentoo-specific questions, the gentoo forums are merely GREAT. I don't know of an official debian or slackware forum, so I guess these are useful, but the gentoo forum probably isn't. Compare the postings. And just place a link here to forums.gentoo.org .

Sorry if this is a troll btw.

not at all, its just a differnt, more newbi friendy community, ask a question here that will get 2-3 constructive post that remind you to use the man pages to you advantage might get you 200 flame post or completly ignored in the gentoo forums. They are a great resource, and some of the hackers there are incredably brilliant, but they are used to dealing on a different level. Besides, never hurts.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

and one more reason is we have alot of members here who have been using gentoo for along time and know what they are talking about so there are just as many knowledgeable ppl here that can help out with gentoo problems. and another is we are more friendly to newbies
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: What's the point of this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Parasietje
    I hate sounding rude, but: why is this forum here?
    For gentoo-specific questions, the gentoo forums are merely GREAT.
    I hate to sound rude too, but, I was at the Gentoo forums last week. Ended up in a flame war forum about the gays wanting thier own forum inside of the Gentoo forums. No thanks, that place is too full of trolls, flame wars and nuts. I will stick with the good folks here.

Just Joined!
    I can see the point now . I've only hung out in the Dutch forum in forums.gentoo.org, and there everyone was friendly. Maybe the reason was it's smaller userbase, just like this forum.

I can see the point now . I've only hung out in the Dutch forum in forums.gentoo.org, and there everyone was friendly. Maybe the reason was it's smaller userbase, just like this forum.
    Exactly. Hope you'll stick around!
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Thank You! and Welcome

Linux User
    Yeah I stopped posting in the gentoo forums. They have some great threads though, but yeah there is a lot of crap there. I pretty much just go for the tips and tricks page and when I need to search for something specific.

Linux Guru
    Its like why did Coca-Cola start selling when there was already Pepsi (or vica versa)?

The Answer: Its about consumer choice.

For me, Pepsi is too sweet so i prefer Cola. Getting back to the issue at hand - for some, the official gentoo forums are too big/impersonal/lame/technical/whatever for their particular tastes.

This is our offering, like it or dont like it - thats your choice. Many people use these forums happily every day, many people use the official gentoo forums happily every day, each have their good and bad points.

The issue for you, the end user of these forums is you have the choice to use the forum(s) you prefer.

Jason