Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi, i just installed gentoo linux, and i can't seem to get the machine connected to the internet. this is actually my first venture outside of the microsoft world. in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can someone help a linux noob??

hi, i just installed gentoo linux, and i can't seem to get the machine connected to the internet. this is actually my first venture outside of the microsoft world. in the microsoft world, i had a real good handle on how things worked, but linux makes me feel like i don't know anything again. can someone please help me?

my configuration is:

gentoo linux v.2008.0.b2 aka 2008 beta 2 i686 install

computer unit:
    intel pentium celeron d 2.60 GHz
    1GB ddr Ram
    80GB HDD
    Integrated NIC (broadcom)
    Integrated Sound (contextant HD audio)
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 256MB (pci)

my proxy server: 169.254.79.202:4480
    proxy running ad-hoc via 10baseT Crossover Cable
    host "server": windows xp w/sp3
    proxy plus programme used to switch (localhost) on xp pc to a useable signal for prospective client pc's (or xbox 360, etc.)

during gentoo installation, everytime i tried to configure the network, the install failed, so i bypassed it. i now have a mostly working install, but how do i get the network device to work (in new user dummy talk, please)

i hope i have provided enough information

It's been years since I ran Gentoo so I'm going from memory...

Just to get you going, can you possibly for now, connect directly to your router or ISP, bypassing the Windows machine? I'm presuming you aren't right now concerned with static IPs and all that. Open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    Is there a way to post that info here? That would be very helpful. You are specifically looking for device "eth0" or possibly "eth1." Is it there? If not, try:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
    ...and do /sbin/ifconfig again. Is it there now? If so, beg for an IP from your router or ISP...
    Code:
    /sbin/dhcpcd eth0
    If no errors, redo /sbin/ifconfig and see if you have an IP address. If victorious, try your web browser and see if you can get anything. After establishing that you can indeed get connected, you can start the process of connecting through your Windows machine.

As an observation, not a judgment: Gentoo is a very challenging distro, especially for a new user straight form Windows. It might be worth considering starting off with an easier distro like Ubuntu. Once you know your way around Ubuntu, you could explore other's and find the one that best suits your needs.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 05-17-2008 at 02:41 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Welcome to the forums,
    First of all, I'd like to say kudos to you for getting Gentoo installed, as a new to Linux person, this had to be quiet daunting.

Are you using the Gentoo handbook?
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Configuring your Network
    Do you have the correct modules loaded for your card? Is the card detected in the output of this command?
    ifconfig
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    yes, i the correct modules are loaded for the card, and to help dan out i will provide the wickedly complicated way in which i connect to the internet:

isp: alltel wireless -->downstairs pc (direct connection shared using windows ics protocol) -->Linksys wireless router (access point for house) --> Windows Xp laptop (the computer i'm on right now, connected to linksys wireless router) --> crossover cable (wired connection) and program running on windows xp laptop (called proxy plus) --> Gentoo Linux pc

so to recap: the internet is shared from a direct connection on win. pc #1, which is plugged into the port labeled "internet" on the linksys router, thus providing internet to the household.

my laptop (aka pc #2) connects to the internet through the router wirelessly. it also has a programme running called Proxy+ which allows devices connected to it through the ethernet port
    (aka linuxPC) to connect to the internet using user supplied proxy server information. when linuxPC was winPC (xp) this sequence of events went through without a hitch and it (linuxPC, formerly winpc) connected to the internet. it also connected to the internet when linuxpc was running live cd of gentoo

it's a crazy way to connect to the internet, but i live in the middle of nowhere, you gotta get inventive. i'll try this stuff you suggested, and if it doesen't work i'll post again, thanks for the help

First ... as per Dapper Dan
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    What does it show ?

Does your Proxy host run a DHCP service to allocate an IP Address to your Gentoo host ?
    If not, you will have to setup a /etc/conf.d/net config file to setup the address for your ethernet interface.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

Just Joined!
    yeah, my proxy host runs all traffic, dhcp included, but it has security enabled, so i have to manually input the proxy info (i wrote it down, cause i knew i'd need it.)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Welcome to the forums,
    First of all, I'd like to say kudos to you for getting Gentoo installed, as a new to Linux person, this had to be quiet daunting.
    mike, it would have been daunting, to say the least if i wasn't fairly familiar with the command-line processing functions. i grew up in the days of DOS where you had to code everything yourself, so the installation, while it did take me awhile, was not, in and of itself, all too overbearingly difficult, although everytime i attempted to install the network with the rest of the os, it would lock up on me unexplicably, which is why i have this problem in the first place. --sigh-- not the worst of errors, but a real pain in the rear end, specially cause i can't mount my pen drive, i don't know how, otherwise i could send you guys the messages that would prolly help this move faster.

Well, to mount any drive is fairly easy. First you need to create a mount point.
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/USB
    Then try mounting the device (After plugging it in).
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda /mnt/USB
    You can figure out which /dev to mount by using the command
    Code:
    cat /proc/partitions
    if you're still trying to get the Network running, I'd suggest to start from square one. Identify the chipset with the lspci command.
    Just open a terminal window and type:
    Code:
    lspci
    and while your there, issue this command too.
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    If you cant copy and paste the output, then try typing the relevant parts only.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

error message while attempting to mount usb...

THE ERROR MESSAGE FOR MOUNTING USB DRIVE IS THIS:

-bash: mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dxqcanada View Post
    First ... as per Dapper Dan
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    What does it show ?

Does your Proxy host run a DHCP service to allocate an IP Address to your Gentoo host ?
    If not, you will have to setup a /etc/conf.d/net config file to setup the address for your ethernet interface.
    /bin/ifconfig shows the following message:

localhost ~ #: /sbin/ifconfig
    lo link encap:local loopback
    inet addr: 127.0.0.1 mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 scope:host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING mtu:16436 metric:1
    RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes: 140 (140.0b) TX bytes:140 (140.0b)

when i attempt to use the code: /etc/conf.d/net
    i get the following error message:

-bash: /etc/conf.d/net : Permission denied

i am running that command as root, by the way.

is there anything else i should post, to help you guys help me???
    (P.S.) sorry it takes me so long to post, i've gotta go to work, and subsiquently, have not much free time to fool around with things i like (i.e computers, linux, etc.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast