Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to linux and i have four questions First: I'm not sure how to configure my fstab in order to allow both windows and linux access a shared partition. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

shared linux/windows fstab help

I'm new to linux and i have four questions

First:
    I'm not sure how to configure my fstab in order to allow both windows and linux access a shared partition. What should I put in my fstab to allow a certain partition (which has the FAT32 filesystem) to be read/written by both windows and linux.

Second:
    What do i put in fstab for my windows partition? If anything?

Third:
    I have included in my kernel configuration support for NTFS filesystem and NTFS writing. Does this mean I will be able to access, read and write data on my windows partition? Do i need to configure anything in fstab or otherwise to do this? (I was/am under the impression linux was unable to write to nfts)

Fourth:
    for the 'dump' field in fstab for my boot partition, should it be 0? or 1?

this is what my fstab looks like now: (if anyone can help point out errors or fill in the _blanks_ that would be great)

/dev/sda1 ____ NTFS noatime _ _ (windows partition)
    /dev/sda2 /boot ext3 noatime _ _ (boot partition)
    /dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0 (swap partition)
    /dev/sda5 / ext3 noatime _ _ (root partition)
    /dev/sda6 /mnt/data ___ ______ _ _ (shared win/linux)

/dev/dvdrom /mnt/dvd auto ________ 0 0

(*sda4 is my extended partition containing 5,6)

i recently found a mount option called unmask 000, not quite sure how to use it? and will it give access to the partition from anyone who can see my computer on the network?

Just Joined!
    First:
    fstab is a linux file, on the linux partition which only linux reads from. so to answer your question, you dont. you set up in the fstab only that you want linux to read your filesystem. it has nothing to do with windows accessing it.

Second:
    /dev/whatever-the-partition-is /mount/point vfat rw,auto 0 0

Third:
    yes. no. you just use that line ^^ except change vfat to ntfs. your impression is wrong.

you sure have a lot of questions.

here's a paste from the gentoo docs:
    # The fifth field is used by dump to determine if the partition needs to be dumped or not. You can generally leave this as 0 (zero).
    # The sixth field is used by fsck to determine the order in which filesystems should be checked if the system wasn't shut down properly. The root filesystem should have 1 while the rest should have 2 (or 0 if a filesystem check isn't necessary).

pretty simple really.

You don't need unmasking. use nfs or smb

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

You have answers above for your questions ... I recommend you use ntfs-3g for write access to ntfs partitions only rather than using write enabled in kernel.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the help!