Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have recently decided to pick up linux again after being an avid user for sometime and then dropping it to become obsessed with macs for some reason. Anyhoo.. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gentoo boot halts at 'scanning for ahci'

I have recently decided to pick up linux again after being an avid user for sometime and then dropping it to become obsessed with macs for some reason. Anyhoo.. I tried to install Gentoo today, an old favorite of mine, but I didn't get very far at all.

I downloaded the amd64 image (2007.0, official), burned it at a slow and steady speed and then proceeded to boot with it. Within seconds of booting the system halts at the line "Scanning for ahci", the cursor freezes and then I'm forced to angrily reboot my system. I looked up AHCI and its general purpose and it manages support for serial ata drives which makes a whole lot of sense. Several days ago I attempted to install Ubuntu, only to be dropped to a BusyBox sh shell with minimal commands available, I googled and found out that it was likely a problem with sata drives. Adding "all_generic_ide" to the boot string only caused it to seize up more. The other day I attempted to install Fedora 9 but the installation was randomly halted after inputting my password information. Unplugging all but one of my sata drives allowed the same installation to not halt, however.

I'm curious to know how many linux users use SATA drives and what the gneral outcome is because I always used to use IDE drives up until a few months ago so I'm completely unfamiliar sata and linux support, all I know is that vista never complained so I never paid it any mind. My specs include an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, nvidia 6600 gt (getting an 8800 GTS soon), 2 GB's of high end corsair RAM, 55 watt psu, three sata hdd's, etc.

If this needs to be moved to the hardware section I understand, I just figured that my current situation dealt with Gentoo.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Hiya George,
    In my opinion the 2007 Cd's are trash. Try booting another LiveCD and use chroot to install Gentoo.
    Gentoo Linux Documentation -- The Gentoo Linux alternative installation method HOWTO
    I'm pretty sure Gentoo has support for SATA drives.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Ah yes, I do recall once installing Gentoo on a friend's computer using Knoppix I believe. I'll try that, thanks.
    Registered Linux user #393103

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close