Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 3 of 3
I have read through Gentoo Wiki, and the Handbook- but I keep having problems Gentoo recognized my wireless card in the live CD, but when I installed it- it no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9

    Red face I need help figuring out my wireless


    I have read through Gentoo Wiki, and the Handbook- but I keep having problems

    Gentoo recognized my wireless card in the live CD, but when I installed it- it no longer recognizes it. What do you think I did wrong?
    Last edited by Chrissy-Tina; 06-09-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: -solved some of my own problems

  2. #2
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    39

    More information would help answer your Question

    Did you connect to the internet with the LiveCD with the wireless card?

    It would be helpful to know what card you are using, by telling the name of the manufacturer, the model of the card, and if it is a pci card or usb or what type of connection it has to your system.

    Without being specific to Gentoo, you would need to see if you have installed support for the wireless card into your installation. If it worked in the Live-CD, and after installing the distro does not work, then you did not add support for it either in the kernel itself, or in add on modules.

    I would suggest looking for support for the particular type of wireless card that you have, and then finding out what modules are needed to support it. Then, you can load those modules in using the shell command "modprobe <modulename>" as root. You can see what different modules the LiveCD had and what ones your distro has by using the shell command "lsmod". If you compare the two you may find out what ones you need to load.

    To see what hardware is on your system, you can try the shell commands "dmesg", "lspci", "lsusb" and "lshw". To see what kernel you are running, use "uname -r". Note that you can rebuild the kernel to include support for the wireless card, but that can be a difficult thing to do.

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by felPmy View Post
    Did you connect to the internet with the LiveCD with the wireless card?
    No, I figured that when I went "Iwconfig" and it showed up, that the rest was going to work. My computer is finicky in the installation and for some reason- if I do anything (play games, go online, etc.) it doesn't work. Which is why I did a networkless install. (I don't get what I'm doing wrong, but I do know that it only happens when I multi-task)

    Quote Originally Posted by felPmy View Post
    It would be helpful to know what card you are using, by telling the name of the manufacturer, the model of the card, and if it is a pci card or usb or what type of connection it has to your system.
    Broadcom 1350 card. I've noticed that a lot of people have problems with it. I've been trying to work though how to make it work. tried the nsidiswrapper, but I can't find a tuturial for idiots.

    Quote Originally Posted by felPmy View Post
    Without being specific to Gentoo, you would need to see if you have installed support for the wireless card into your installation. If it worked in the Live-CD, and after installing the distro does not work, then you did not add support for it either in the kernel itself, or in add on modules.
    and how would i have done that?

    Quote Originally Posted by felPmy View Post
    I would suggest looking for support for the particular type of wireless card that you have, and then finding out what modules are needed to support it. Then, you can load those modules in using the shell command "modprobe <modulename>" as root. You can see what different modules the LiveCD had and what ones your distro has by using the shell command "lsmod". If you compare the two you may find out what ones you need to load.
    I tried a couple of other distro's Live CD and they all recognized it, but still woldn't connect. So I'm thinking that the kernal probably isn't much different. But I don't know. Totally new to Linux here. (Everyone said- if you can install it, you can handle it. Installation was easy. This is confusing)

    Quote Originally Posted by felPmy View Post
    To see what hardware is on your system, you can try the shell commands "dmesg", "lspci", "lsusb" and "lshw". To see what kernel you are running, use "uname -r". Note that you can rebuild the kernel to include support for the wireless card, but that can be a difficult thing to do.
    dmesg-
    bcm43xx: PHY connected
    bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.
    bcm43xx: core_up for active 802.11 core failed (-2)
    bcm43xx: PHY connected
    bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.
    bcm43xx: core_up for active 802.11 core failed (-2)
    bcm43xx: PHY connected
    bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.
    bcm43xx: core_up for active 802.11 core failed (-2)
    bcm43xx: PHY connected
    bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.
    bcm43xx: core_up for active 802.11 core failed (-2)
    bcm43xx: set security called, .level = 0, .enabled = 0, .encrypt = 0
    bcm43xx: set security called, .level = 0, .enabled = 0, .encrypt = 0
    bcm43xx: set security called, .level = 0, .enabled = 0, .encrypt = 0
    bcm43xx: set security called, .level = 0, .enabled = 0, .encrypt = 0

    The rest said "command not found".
    All very confusing to me.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •