Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by qub333 As a continuation of my scsi saga. I got the issue of loading the modules squared away, but noe it tells me the Block device /dev/sda3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Re: mounting /dev/sda3 as root device problems

Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    As a continuation of my scsi saga. I got the issue of loading the modules squared away, but noe it tells me the Block device /dev/sda3 is not a valid root device...
    None of the advice given in reply to date addressed the problem for me. I used the Gentoo Handbook for the install, so all the advice around genkernel spoke to things that weren't an issue for me.

The magic is this: VMWare Workstation 5.0 emulates a SCSI driver supported by the MPT Fusion driver. This driver is included as a module in the LiveCD kernel config, (which the Handbook instructs you to use), but it is not included in genkernel's MODULES_SCSI list defined in the x86 architecture's modules_load file (/usr/share/genkernel/x86/modules_load).

Simply add mptbase and mptscsih to MODULES_SCSI in that file (or the appropriate file for your architecture), then rerun genkernel, e.g.

genkernel --no-clean --no-mrproper --no-menuconfig --udev --install all

Now inittrd will contain drivers that support the SCSI controller emulated by VMWare.

mef
    Just Joined!

applicability to IBM eServer 326

I grappled with this problem as well installing Gentoo amd64 on an IBM eServer 326, and finally figured out the problem so I thought I'd post here...

I didn't think any of the Fusion MPT driver stuff applied to me since I wasn't using VMware, but including those drivers in the kernel (not as modules) allowed my LSI Logic controller scsi drives to be detected on boot.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheldonh View Post
    None of the advice given in reply to date addressed the problem for me. I used the Gentoo Handbook for the install, so all the advice around genkernel spoke to things that weren't an issue for me.

The magic is this: VMWare Workstation 5.0 emulates a SCSI driver supported by the MPT Fusion driver. This driver is included as a module in the LiveCD kernel config, (which the Handbook instructs you to use), but it is not included in genkernel's MODULES_SCSI list defined in the x86 architecture's modules_load file (/usr/share/genkernel/x86/modules_load).

Simply add mptbase and mptscsih to MODULES_SCSI in that file (or the appropriate file for your architecture), then rerun genkernel, e.g.

genkernel --no-clean --no-mrproper --no-menuconfig --udev --install all

Now inittrd will contain drivers that support the SCSI controller emulated by VMWare.
    Ok, I know this post is a little outdated, I'm running VMWare Virtual Infrastructure Client and nothing posted here has worked, at least how I understand it...could you elaborate more on the MODULES_SCSI part?

I am getting the same error everyone else is getting.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoreland View Post
    Ok, I know this post is a little outdated, I'm running VMWare Virtual Infrastructure Client and nothing posted here has worked, at least how I understand it...could you elaborate more on the MODULES_SCSI part?

I am getting the same error everyone else is getting.
    Welcome to the forums, cmoreland!

You are correct... this post is very old and your question is not likely to be answered. You should start a new thread of your own describing your question/problem.

oz
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2