Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Segfault @techieMoe - what typo are you talking about? The difference between prefixes M and m in SI is million times. I believe your point of view ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    @techieMoe - what typo are you talking about?

The difference between prefixes M and m in SI is million times. I believe your point of view would be different if this discrepancy was on your paycheck.
    The difference between b - bit and B - byte is 8 times. These are different units. 750 Mb is around 94 MB.
    Are you serious about promoting illiteracy?

Definitions of the SI units: The twenty SI prefixes
    You're completely missing my point. If someone came to you on the street and started lecturing you because you ended your sentence in a preposition, what would you think of this person? Me, I would consider them a dick. Correcting someone for something inconsequential is a good way to stroke your own ego and alienate others.

Manchunian obviously didn't mean to say his computer had 750 millibits of RAM, he simply forgot to hit the SHIFT key when typing it in. Many times on this forum users have typed "mb" when talking about "MB" and all of us understood the spirit of what they were trying to say. To point out minutiae like that is silly, and rude.
    Last edited by techieMoe; 06-26-2008 at 04:18 PM.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

There - I've changed the small b to a nice big, fat, juicy B. Now, if you'd like to inspect my signature for any further errors, I'd be most obliged to you.
    So, with that behind us perhaps we can forget it and stop fighting over it. We're all here with a shared interest in promoting Linux and helping others where we can. Segfault: you clearly know your stuff and can make valuable contributions, but please, I really hope you don't turn out to be a pompous prig, carefully inspecting everyone's sentences for the slightest error. I meet enough of those at work, believe me!
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

The test.

0. You see a fellow club member leaving for home with some rouge on his cheek. You:
    a. Stop him and tell him to fix it;
    b. Smile, thinking how silly he looks and what his wife is going to say.

1. You see a car stopping right before you in a parking lot has no brake lights. You, after parking next to him:
    a. Tell the driver of other car he/she has no brake lights;
    b. Walk away thinking someone is going to rear-end this dude soon.

Would you like to take this test? No?

I'm the aa type guy. If this forum is for bb type people better tell me right now and I'll be gone for good. Obviously you do not want wrong people around here and I do not want to be in wrong place.

Frankly, on a technical forum I expected the correctness (in it's scientific meaning) takes the precedence. I was thinking we are here to help each other and help whenever we can. Was I wrong and babysitting is the main goal here?

@techiMoe - my logic differs from yours.
    0. I do not think we are on the street here. But even if we were I'd correct somebody's glaring error. I've done this and thanked a number of times. I sure will be happy if someone would point out my mistakes.
    1. This wasn't the shift key, see post #7.
    2. Correcting someone does not feed my ego. Have you seen Monk? This world is full of weird guys, I'm one of them.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    I'm the aa type guy. If this forum is for bb type people better tell me right now and I'll be gone for good. Obviously you do not want wrong people around here and I do not want to be in wrong place.
    Why are we still talking about this? If your entire purpose in this forum is to correct even the most inconsequential typos from our members, then you are indeed in the wrong place. We are a forum of Linux users, not grammarians.

If you push this any further I will ban you. You are rude and overbearing. I would rather have 10 people who know a little bit about something and are willing to help (even if their verbiage isn't exactly correct) than one know-it-all who sees it as his life's pursuit to correct everyone else. The choice is yours.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2