Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm doing a Stage 1 Gentoo install on my new PC, and I've got the Minimal LiveCD up and running. Now I'm trying to install the "sk98lin" module, because I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

sk98lin difficulties during install

I'm doing a Stage 1 Gentoo install on my new PC, and I've got the Minimal LiveCD up and running. Now I'm trying to install the "sk98lin" module, because I'm under the impression that that will make at least one of my Ethernet cards work (I have one that's integrated with the motherboard, a Marvell Yukon, and one that's in a PCI slot, a D-Link DGE 530T.) But when I type "modprobe sk98lin", I get the following output:
    Code:
    sk98lin: Network Device Driver v6.23
    (C)Copyright 1999-2004 Marvell(R).
    eth0:
       PrefPort:A  RlmtMode:Check Link State
    eth1: DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
       PrefPort:A  RlmtMode:Check Link State
    <bash prompt># Class&#58; internal Software error
    Mr&#58; 0x19e
    Msg&#58; Vpd&#58; Cannot read VPD keys
    Class&#58; internal Software error
    Mr&#58; 0x19e
    Class&#58; internal Software error
    Mr&#58; 0x19e
    eth0&#58; network connection up using port A
    speed&#58; 10
    autonegotiation&#58; yes
    duplex mode&#58; half
    flowctrl&#58; none
    irq moderation&#58; disabled
    scatter-gather&#58; enabled
    Also, the Class-Mr-Msg lines appear when I run ifconfig. I found what looks like a patch for this exact issue: http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...04.3/0090.html , but there's no explanation of where to put that code or what to do with it. Even though I get these error messages, after running the modprobe command my ethernet card's light goes on and my cable modem blinks like it does when it has a working connection. If you have any idea what to do, I'd love some advice. Thanks.
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, DG

I can't help with the entire problem, but you are on the right track because I can confirm that sk98lin is indeed the driver used in Linux for the Marvell Yukon ethernet device.

I've installed Gentoo successfully a number of times but have not tried it on my new motherboard which also has the Marvell device. Guess I'll check back here for a solution when that time comes.

Sorry I can't be of further help.

Linux Newbie
    OK, so I figured out the issue: my motherboard, the Asus K8V, is not compatible with Linux (as explained in this insightfully-titled article). So now, since Newegg won't let me return it, I've wasted $104 if I don't sell it on eBay or something. Can you believe I even spent the extra money for the "extended bull feces warranty" or whatever? Unacceptable.
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    man, that sucks, best way to dump it is ebay, if you still have the box, then its not impossible to seel, not so say you should take advantage of people, but you can get 90 for it if you advertise correctly....
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

SysKonnect driver update for sk98lin

If you look at http://www.syskonnect.de/syskonnect/...ctsupport.html you'll find SysKonnect's most recent release (21 sept 2004) of the sk98lin driver. There is a fix in the code for the Asus motherboard problem, but it didn't seem to change anything with the D-Link DGE-530T NICs I have that exhibit the same problem (tried modular and compiled in with 2.4 and 2.6). Perhaps I can program some VPD (vital product data, part of the PCI spec) into the prom on these cards with an acetylene torch instead.

Just Joined!

fix available (was: sk98lin difficulties during install)

If you go to the ASUS web site, in the beta section there is a fix for the VPD errors. I ran it, and I now have no errors.

The note says: " 1. Please note its only needed to run when you got abnormal VPD data of onboard LAN."

Here's a direct link, although it might break in the future:
    http://www.asus.com/support/download...ch.zip~zaqwedc