Find the answer to your Linux question:
i just installed gentoo,i don't really like it..i had not an easy set-up (for a newbie).although i tried to install the nvidia drivers and i get error messages about the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

gentoo problem

i just installed gentoo,i don't really like it..i had not an easy set-up (for a newbie).although i tried to install the nvidia drivers and i get error messages about the kernel source...i didn't realised what has been done,and the graphics are not so good (low refresh rate and i don't have all available resolutions).
    i think i will move to suse again..
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Engineer
    It's better the second installation round.

Took me about 5 goes before I was happy with it.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    i really didn't like it...i had to edit manually xinit script to start up kde by commenting most lines and adding /usr/kde/3.2/bin/startkde .after that it booted in kde but the graphics problem remains..i won't give a try,i'm really disappointed with this distro..
    Linux For Ever!

Did you read the whole manual? It only takes echo Start Kde to get Kde Started Most of gentoo Is done by hand, the lack of automation can be nice, there are fewer inexplicable changes. But YOPER Was nice with the sax to configure x.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Did you even read the Gentoo Philosophy, why people use Gentoo? You might not like it, and that's fine but you sure as hell don't understand it. You should read the documentation on the www.gentoo.org site as it is almost flawless. Even my little brother could get the Nvidia module working correctly, you know why, because he read's the damn stuff. Gentoo is not one of those distributions that does everything for you. Try Gentoo again when you can read the documentation.

Just Joined!
    Seattle, WA or Lewisburg, PA. Depending on time of year.
    Alright, I'm gonna have to back stahix up on this, cause I read the whole damn installation guide, letter by letter, and followed it. And guess what, I still got nvidia problems even following the xorg config and nvidia config files on gentoo.org...The first time I thought it was cause I missed a step, but then I tried the install again and still didn't get it right. I'm still trying to get everything working, and although I'm far from being a linux expert, there are still problems that rise up occasionally...

cheers,

e2k
    Just Joined!
    stathisx, did you read this and this? This will also be good for future reference.

I hated SuSE because it did everything automatically, and you couldn't adjust things here and there. With Gentoo you can adjust almost everything. Give it some time, read the manual, use the search on gentoo forums and you'll never go back to SuSE