Find the answer to your Linux question:
After I followed and took notes of the gentoo installl I was told to run Genkernel, and I believe this is where my issue lies. After following the guide of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy gentoo installation will not boot

After I followed and took notes of the gentoo installl I was told to run Genkernel, and I believe this is where my issue lies. After following the guide of a stage 3 installation I reboot when it tells me and I get nothing but a blinking curser. I was quite mad. I had some trouble with grub and the install because dealing with the cd and where I was chrooted to I couldn't tell where the hell I was. and every time it told me to change to /boot/grub but there was no grub in the /boot directory so I'm quite confused, because I emerged grub while I was chrooted to /boot or so I think I was, but I'm not sure. I don't know why it wasn't there. and I am not quite sure what is up with genkernel. does anyone have any idea on why this is not booting? It appears as if everything else went as it should. Thanks!

If I'm understanding the problem correctly, it sounds to me like the grub problem you described may be at the root of the issue. You shouldn't have to be chrooted to the /boot partition, but instead you should be chrooted to /mnt/gentoo (or wherever your "new" partition gets mounted to). You will need to boot into the livecd again to fix it.

Boot to livecd
    mount /dev/<hd wherever your root partition is> /mnt/gentoo
    mount /dev/<hd wherever your boot partition is> /mnt/gentoo/boot
    mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
    mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
    chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
    env-update
    source /etc/profile
    export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"

Now you will be chrooted to your computer's filesystem.

Now check your boot partition.

ls /boot

you should see something like this:
    boot grub kernel-2.6.22-gentoo-r8 lost+found

If grub is there, then grub is installed and configured. If it isn't, just reconfigure grub. If you don't have any sort of kernel image in your boot partition then you will also have to do the following:

ls -l /usr/src/

you should see something like:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Oct 2 2007 linux -> linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r8
    drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 4096 May 11 14:12 linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r8
    drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 Nov 13 2007 linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r9

The arrow on the top one (linux) should point to the currently used kernel which you configured in genkernel. If it doesn't then you may have made a mistake when configuring your kernel. (As an additional note, I know that a lot of people use genkernel, but I tend to tell people to just do it manually. It is slightly more difficult, but then you always can trace back to what you may have messed up on.)

cd /usr/src/linux/
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r5

(or whatever kernel version you have)

Now check /boot/grub/grub.conf to make sure that you are pointing to your newly minted kernel image.

Everything should be good from here on out. If you get any further grub errors, then you may need to get back on the livecd, chroot into your system and just run the setup in grub.

Good luck, hope this helps. (I hope I didn't miss a step)
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

Not sure if you managed to get round this or not. One other thing that i found when instaling Gentoo on my latest machine (Now using SATA not IDE) was that genkernel messed that up (this was a few months back, so may have been fixed now). I just could NOT get gentoo to boot using a genkernel built kernel.

My fix was fairly simple - though to those not in the know doesn't sound it - build my own kernel manually.

Now this may sound daunting, but if you have mounted proc onto the chrroted system, you can simply
    Code:
    zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config
    This will copy the livecd's kernel configuration (obviously working if you have got this far), then you simply have to make the kernel and install the modules etc.

I know this is not an ideal solution, but i think that the generic kernel on the gentoo livecd has made a good job of it, not including rubbish. Though you may wanna just check through the config for things that you *KNOW* you do not need, and also check the filesystems that (at least /boot's filesystem) is compiled *IN TO* the kernel, and NOT as a module.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

I found problems with genkernel ... if you don't set valid entries in fstab before running genkernel then it gets a bit confused because it uses fstab to determine mounts. I reported it as a bug but got the finger ... if you try the install process and set valid fstab entries you may find things work ... they did for me