Find the answer to your Linux question:
Recently, my computer began crashing for no apparent reason. I cant move the mouse, kill the X server or switch to a console. I recently recompiled my kernel to include ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why is linux crashing?

Recently, my computer began crashing for no apparent reason. I cant move the mouse, kill the X server or switch to a console.

I recently recompiled my kernel to include the 'visor' module, but I'm not sure if this is causing it. I am using the vanilla 2.6.25.9 kernel.

Is there a log file for crashes, and has anyone else had this problem?

Please help, Thanks.

Linux Guru
    Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by fish199902 View Post
    Recently, my computer began crashing for no apparent reason. I cant move the mouse, kill the X server or switch to a console.

I recently recompiled my kernel to include the 'visor' module, but I'm not sure if this is causing it. I am using the vanilla 2.6.25.9 kernel.

Is there a log file for crashes, and has anyone else had this problem?

Please help, Thanks.
    Let's discard things. There's a bazillion of reasons why a computer can crash or freeze.

First, try without X. Start in single user mode, and check if it freezes. If it does, it's probably a hardware issue, check ram and cpu temperature before anything else.

If not, it could be an issue with your video driver.

Those are just some ideas, it could virtually be *anything*.

I assume that you are not messing with your hardware (not overclocking nor doing any other funny thing).

First, try without X. Start in single user mode, and check if it freezes. If it does, it's probably a hardware issue, check ram and cpu temperature before anything else.
    My CPU temperature is 53 C, and my M/B temperature is 36 C. Last night I tried without X and it still froze.

If not, it could be an issue with your video driver.

Those are just some ideas, it could virtually be *anything*.
    I also remembered that I installed bluetooth, so I tried turning it off. It hasn't frozen yet but I don't know how long it will take. If it is bluetooth, is it possible to stop it from freezing? I've used bluetooth in other distributions so I know my bluetooth adapter works.

I assume that you are not messing with your hardware (not overclocking nor doing any other funny thing).
    Not overclocking, but I did upgrade my graphics card about a week ago, but that was before these problems

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Not overclocking, but I did upgrade my graphics card about a week ago, but that was before these problems
    Did you need to change the driver for your new card?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    Did you need to change the driver for your new card?
    No, they were both Nvidia cards using the same version of the driver. When I recompiled my kernel I reinstalled the nvidia driver, but it was the same version as before.

It's been a few more hours since I turned off bluetooth and it still hasn't frozen, so it looks like that was it.

Linux Guru
    My CPU temperature is 53 C, and my M/B temperature is 36 C. Last night I tried without X and it still froze.
    A bit hight that of the cpu, if that's idle, then it can easily go up to +70's when doing heavy work, which is enough for some cpu's to fail. In most cases, even if not healthy, those values shouldn't cause an immediate problem.

I also remembered that I installed bluetooth, so I tried turning it off. It hasn't frozen yet but I don't know how long it will take. If it is bluetooth, is it possible to stop it from freezing? I've used bluetooth in other distributions so I know my bluetooth adapter works.
    It might be some kind of hardware/drivers conflict. Rare as it seems I think I have read something similar somewhere, but right now I can't remember where. I will look around and let you know if I can find something.

It's been a few more hours since I turned off bluetooth and it still hasn't frozen, so it looks like that was it.
    Let's see.

PS: google with "bluetooth linux freeze" reports some entries about freezes, kernel paniscs and the like when plugin/using bluetooth adapters.

I think that it was spacifically the hci_usb module, because once it is removed my computer does not freeze, however I dont see any errors from it in dmesg. Would this be the driver for my bluetooth adapter?

Linux Guru
    I think that it was spacifically the hci_usb module, because once it is removed my computer does not freeze, however I dont see any errors from it in dmesg. Would this be the driver for my bluetooth adapter?
    That's part of the usb sussystem, but it could be part of the problem since bluetooth adapters are often plugged in via an usb port, and both parts have to interact.

Or maybe it's that you have both uhci and ohci enabled in your kernel. I have found configurations where having both enabled can be problematic. You usually need only one of the two (in pc it's normally uhci, but not always). In addition you need ehci for usb 2.0. All of these are somewhere in the usb related config section of your kernel configuration.

It seems it was UHCI and OHCI conflicting, I removed OHCI from my kernel and it no longer freezes.

Thank you for all the help!

Linux Guru
    I am glad that it's fixed. It's certainly something that's not trivial to diagnose. I just thought of it because I have seen it many times.

Enjoy