Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I installed gentoo on my laptop (Acer TravelMate 2480). Everything is working great except for my wireless card. my card : Code: Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help with wireless

Hi all

I installed gentoo on my laptop (Acer TravelMate 2480). Everything is working great except for my wireless card.

my card :
    Code:
     Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
    To get it working I followed this guide.

My first time I downloaded the b43-fwcutter and then cut the firmware and placed it in /lib/firmware.
    then I used
    Code:
    modprobe b43
    The second time I attempted to get this working I used the bcm43xx-fwcutter and cut the firmware and placed it in /lib/firmware
    then I used
    Code:
    modprobe bcm43xx
    I read on the down the page and it states that the interface doesn't turn on automatically so i used
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower on
    I configured my kernel how the guide stated. I cut the firmware and placed it in the correct place. I loaded the modules and turned the interface on. I am at a loss as to how to get wireless to work for me so Im hoping someone can help.

thanks in advance!! =)

Hi

I have had problems getting the kernel's driver for the BCM43xx cards working. I did manage it, however i ended up just using the windows driver and ndiswrapper. (The kernel driver, last time i checked only did 802.11b, where using ndiswrapper, you can get 802.11g).

That may be an option for you to at least investigate.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327