Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just finished my first Gentoo installation, and pretty much everything went smoothly. It was a stage 1 installation. I'm confused, though, as to what framebuffer support is, what kinds ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

What is framebuffer mode, and why?

I just finished my first Gentoo installation, and pretty much everything went smoothly. It was a stage 1 installation.

I'm confused, though, as to what framebuffer support is, what kinds of things need it, and whether I should be using it. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and when I type "startx" at the command line right after booting up, I get the message "Cannot run in framebuffer mode." I know I compiled framebuffer support into the kernel, but the help section on that option was completely useless to me. It was a few pages describing what a framebuffer does, but it didn't give any suggestions about whether it was wise to include it, so I included it.

I'll try removing the VGA line from my grub.conf and see if it runs then. Any other suggestions or explanations?
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

The solution to your problem is video drivers. But Frambuffer support, i don't know the specifics of how it works, but I do know that it provides non-X support for simple graphics.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    Thanks qub, I'll download ATI's proprietary driver and see how that works out for me.

Just Joined!

how i fixed this

hi i had exactly this problem after installing the linux driver from the ati site, i looked in the list of files added in the rpm program and seen the file "fglrxconfig" in the /usr/X11R6/bin directory, i ran this and did the usual yes no 123 thing and tried to ran the x server with startx and all was well, even opengl screensavers yippie, lol, ,,,

hmmmm now 3d!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Joined!

framebuffer

Framebuffer is running your graphics directly from the kernel. The kernel must be compiled with the proper framebuffer drivers for your hardware. Otherwise it wont work. Sometimes framebuffering just doest work, about the only thing I use it for is servers without X.org, so that my console is a little better resolution, than the standard ugly huge font.

Linux Engineer
    And framebuffer is also good with links2 since you then can show graphics in links without running X

Just Joined!
    I just finished my first Gentoo installation, and pretty much everything went smoothly. It was a stage 1 installation.
    I got the same problem, but I have NVIDIA GeForce card.
    Well, the problem was solved by disabling vesafb in kernel.