Find the answer to your Linux question:
The most bizarre things seem to be missing from my stage 1 install tarball. There's no passwd, and was no vi until I did an emerge vim. Is it supposed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Missing passwd in gentoo stage 1 install

The most bizarre things seem to be missing from my stage 1 install tarball. There's no passwd, and was no vi until I did an emerge vim.

Is it supposed to be like this? Where can I get passwd? emerge passwd doesn't seem to work.

Linux Engineer
    i think that gets installed when you emerge system...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    The password exists but is unusable for the sake of security. To change it to something you can use, go to another console and enter passwd.
    The install uses nano instead of vi. Vi won't get installed unless you do it intentionally.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Remeber stage 1 has the bare possible minimmus, if after emerge system you are still missing something crutial, than you should worry.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Using a LiveCD, passwd exists so that you can set a password and be able to SSH into the linux box. If you've chroot-ed into the system from the LiveCD, most commands won't exist until you emerge system.