Find the answer to your Linux question:
I set up dual booting with gentoo / xp on my 320gb sata drive. Later on I added a 1tb sata drive for storage to the system. I booted to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help with my storage drive

I set up dual booting with gentoo / xp on my 320gb sata drive. Later on I added a 1tb sata drive for storage to the system. I booted to XP and formatted it there in ntfs, since I'm a newbie to Linux and didn't want to goof it up. The drive was working fine in xp and I started putting junk on it. But I had goofed anyway when I put the drive in a lower sata port than my boot drive. When I edited it into fstab and tried booting into gentoo I got a looping error, don't remember specifics. Looking back, it was telling me the first drive it found wasn't set up to boot but I didn't know that. I rebooted and tried a few more times but it didn't work, so I booted back to XP and both drives were still working fine.

A day later I rebooted and went afk, forgot I had grub set to wait 30 seconds and then boot gentoo. This let the error loop till its end where my PC froze. When I rebooted my bios wasn't recognizing the 1tb drive, and still isn't. I've tried resetting my cmos, no change. The error message in the boot log is Comreset failed, errno=-16. Google turned up a few bugs, but nothing like my situation.

I have a feeling it's not a dead drive, since it would be a hundred to one shot it would fail at that exact moment. What would Gentoo do to a drive if it wasn't set to boot from that drive, and how do I reverse it?

Quote Originally Posted by baelon View Post
    When I rebooted my bios wasn't recognizing the 1tb drive, and still isn't.
    If bios isn't recognising your hardrive I would start out by unplugging hardrive and replug it in with computer powered down. Then I would reset bios to defaults settings and save and reboot and see what happens.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Guru
    I'd plug off your power cable, take off the small battery from your mother board, unplug and re-plug your hd, wait a few seconds, plug both things into their respective places again and try.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advice, but it's a no-go. I'm going to RMA the drive. I'm awfully suspicious concerning the timing of the drive's death, but whatever.