Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install pidgin and firefox on Gentoo the problem is, I can't open .tar.bz2 or .tar.gz files. So I figured, oh I'll just get fileroller. Then I got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Opening compressed files

I want to install pidgin and firefox on Gentoo the problem is, I can't open .tar.bz2 or .tar.gz files. So I figured, oh I'll just get fileroller. Then I got fileroller down but, it came down in a .tar.gz file. If you need further clarification let me know.

P.S.: I just switched from Ubuntu to Gentoo cause my friends told me ubuntu was "fake Linux" and that I should get "hardcore Linux". also it looks really good with different skins. Anyway I'm liking hardcore Linux a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gagadude View Post
    I want to install pidgin and firefox on Gentoo the problem is, I can't open .tar.bz2 or .tar.gz files. So I figured, oh I'll just get fileroller. Then I got fileroller down but, it came down in a .tar.gz file. If you need further clarification let me know.

P.S.: I just switched from Ubuntu to Gentoo cause my friends told me ubuntu was "fake Linux" and that I should get "hardcore Linux". also it looks really good with different skins. Anyway I'm liking hardcore Linux a lot.

Thanks in advance.
    You can use the command line to untar stuff. If it's .tar.gz then do on the command line
    Code:
    tar -zxvf /path/name.tar.gz

Linux Guru
    I just answered your other thread and I am starting to think that you are doing something wrong. You don't need to download packages and install them by hand.

You can use emerge to do that for you, and it's the only supported way to install things in Gentoo.

By any chance, have you checked the Gentoo handbook at all?

Gentoo Handbook ? Gentoo Linux Documentation

Thanks in advance.
    As much as I dislike Ubuntu, it's not any less Linux than Gentoo is. I don't like it because it hides easy things making them complicated to understand.

However, I understand that some people don't have the interest, nor the time to learn. So I guess that having alternatives like Ubuntu is a good thing. It's difficult too learn linux in depth with such a distro, however.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Talking

Thanks in advance.
    I wouldn't advice for Gentoo as a first distro. I agree, Ubuntu holds you back, but i suggest trying Debian instead as a learning distro. Debian is similar to ubuntu on most points, but more 'True' and gives you a bigger E-penis.

Comradly, DingoBoy.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DingoBoy View Post
    I wouldn't advice for Gentoo as a first distro. I agree, Ubuntu holds you back, but i suggest trying Debian instead as a learning distro. Debian is similar to ubuntu on most points, but more 'True' and gives you a bigger E-penis.

Comradly, DingoBoy.
    Excuse me? I tried ubuntu and it didn't work. I tried opensuse and it didn't work, I tried Debian and it was extremely confusing.

I installed, but didn't configure, gentoo 3 times in virtual box before I tried it on my main computer.

After 2 weeks I almost have a fully working OS replacement.

Samba, Postfix & Dovecot, ATI Radeon drivers (hardware 3D acceleration), Gnome, FreeNX, Compiz-Fusion, VLC, and the games bzflag & tremulous.

Sure, I almost never used the GUI on mac because I used terminal (bash & tcsh) so I know how to use the command line like a master, but still, google pulled up all kinds of resources on gentoo.

gagadude, check out this link for Firefox and Java
    Mozilla Firefox/Java - Gentoo Linux Wiki

For pidgin, do this command
    Code:
    emerge -av pidgin
    That will show you what it will install, and what it will "use"

Type "Yes" to install Pidgin.

Quote Originally Posted by BinarySpike View Post
    After 2 weeks I almost have a fully working OS replacement.

Samba, Postfix & Dovecot, ATI Radeon drivers (hardware 3D acceleration), Gnome, FreeNX, Compiz-Fusion, VLC, and the games bzflag & tremulous.

Sure, I almost never used the GUI on mac because I used terminal (bash & tcsh) so I know how to use the command line like a master, but still, google pulled up all kinds of resources on gentoo.
    If you never used the GUI on Mac (Mac being UNIX, BSD based, thus clooser to Gentoo than any other distro) then I would advice Gentoo. But gentoo doesn't have everything working out of the box, like i suppose a beginner would like. I feel debian works without much effort, but still doesn't hide the base system to much. You also had the chance to play around with virtual Gentoo first - as i read the OP, he did this on his primary workstation.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DingoBoy View Post
    If you never used the GUI on Mac (Mac being UNIX, BSD based, thus clooser to Gentoo than any other distro) then I would advice Gentoo. But gentoo doesn't have everything working out of the box, like i suppose a beginner would like. I feel debian works without much effort, but still doesn't hide the base system to much. You also had the chance to play around with virtual Gentoo first - as i read the OP, he did this on his primary workstation.
    I didn't say I never "used" I just ended up using the terminal more often then the GUI.

I'm also a computer consultant, so I knew that a virtual machine would save me some of my hair.

Anyway, if you can get your head around the whole kernel and emerge, then gentoo is pretty much the easiest distro I've come across. Debian was just to confusing, because it mixed to many elements that obscured the base system. Where as in gentoo that doesn't really happen, it makes me feel like emerge is obscuring the compile process (which is nice, but I need to make some modifications to a game server here pretty soon)

Anyway this is offtopic, and could turn into a flame war =-P So I'm shutting up now.