Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
These are grub errors. Also, I forgot what the fdisk -1 command said... I will check it out again....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

These are grub errors.

Also, I forgot what the fdisk -1 command said... I will check it out again.

Assuming you have setup partitions as per the manual then you should have sda1=boot, sda2=swap, sda3=root. Just to double check things ... can you boot from the live CD and try
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/gentoo
    mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo
    ls /mnt/gentoo/boot -l
    mkdir /mnt/gentboot
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentboot
    ls /mnt/gentboot -l
    ls /mnt/gentboot/grub -l
    also try
    Code:
    grub
    find /boot/grub/grub.conf
    and post the output.
    Last edited by Jonathan183; 09-18-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Add ls grub folder

Just Joined!
    I am stumped.... ls /mnt/gentboot says: boot grub lost+found. fdisk -l just shows the partition scheme, which is simple, hda1,hda2,hda3(boot,swap,root)

hmm?

At least I can use the gentoo CD, links. The cool black and white web browser which is VERY fast but does not support much. I can do mail on it, other than that, I do not have a computer now. I am using links to write this here .

Just Joined!
    I already posted the output of boot/grub/grub.conf, I think it is on the 1st or 2nd page.

If you mounted sda1 as above then I would have expected /mnt/gentboot to have listed your kernel. Is boot shown as a folder or link ? eg does ls -l produce something like boot below or boot-link below ...
    Code:
    [jonathan@Desktop-pc temp]$ ls -l
    total 4
    drwxr-xr-x 2 jonathan users 4096 2008-09-19 01:15 boot
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 jonathan users    4 2008-09-19 01:15 boot-link -> boot
    [jonathan@Desktop-pc temp]$
    Ed: from gentoo handbook under code listing 2.3 ...
    Besides, if you chose to use a different partitioning scheme and did not put /boot in a separate partition, the /boot prefix used in the above code samples is really required. If you followed our suggested partitioning plan, the /boot prefix it not required, but a boot symlink makes it work. In short, the above examples should work whether you defined a separate /boot partition or not.

Just Joined!
    total 13

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1 sep 16 21:01 boot ->
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 sep 17 09:43 boot
    drwx------ 2 root root 12288 sep 16 20:48 lost+found

That is it.

I am beginning to wonder if it is that I do not have the kernel-2.6.25-gentoo-r7 kernel, as I thought that that was what it said I had but it keeps saying file not found when I type in kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.6.25-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hda3.

I reconfigured the kernel and did the cp arch/x86/bzImage command... that seemed to help as now grub boots to the grub command line again, but not to gentoo linux.
    Last edited by belikeyeshua; 09-19-2008 at 01:22 AM. Reason: typo

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by belikeyeshua View Post
    total 13

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1 sep 16 21:01 boot ->
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 sep 17 09:43 boot
    drwx------ 2 root root 12288 sep 16 20:48 lost+found

That is it.

I am beginning to wonder if it is that I do not have the kernel-2.6.25-gentoo-r7 kernel, as I thought that that was what it said I had but it keeps saying file not found when I type in kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.6.25-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hda3.

I reconfigured the kernel and did the cp arch/x86/bzImage command... that seemed to help as now grub boots to the grub command line again, but not to gentoo linux.
    My friend, the tutorial I followed was very vague on how to install gentoo, and I just did the commands straightforward.

Minimal Gentoo Installation | Future Pages

To me it sounds like you are confused on how you install your system, let me help explain.

First, you setup the partitioning scheme, to me it sounds like you have done this.

Second, you mount this scheme (/mnt/gentoo, etc. etc.)

You then CHROOT into this "scheme", this is basically is like running from your
    installation's command line, but it's being processed by the LiveCD.

Very Important.
    Code:
    livecd usr # cd /
    livecd / # mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
    livecd / # cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/
    livecd / # chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
    livecd / # env-update && source /etc/profile
    Third, you get portage and the stage3 tarball and install these over your mounts. (I found this the most confusing, just remember you are booted from a cd and you are "installing" these to the mounts, aka your actual harddrive)

Fourth, you make your Kernel and copy it to your boot partition.

(So far you have put portage and stage3 in your root drive, and then the kernel on your boot partition, and configured it)

Now, the link I posted has you emerge and configure extra items (not needed to begin with) however I would go ahead and emerge -av dhcpcd

Once you have installed everything, you then install grub, configure it, and "push" the settings out.

Code:
    livecd conf.d # grub
    grub> root (hd0,0)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit

through all of this, you need to make sure that everything you do is consistent.

Technically if you wanted to start over past the drive configuration test, just boot the live cd and "rm -rf" (delete) everything on your partitions.
    (when you redo the grub commands it will remove old configure information it has stored)

Just Joined!
    That was nothing new. I have installed gentoo about a dozen times in a row now with STILL the same problems. Though, I can try again one more time.

I followed the handbook religiously, it still did not work. I guess I will try again.

Just Joined!
    I really do not think that I messed up on the installation, I have followed a couple different guides strickly and it did not work. I did mount the partitions.. I did chroot into the system, I did install it. It DOES NOT WORK.

Am I the only one that has seemingly irrepairable grub problems?

---I will try again.

I don't think you need to re-install ...
    try remounting your boot partition at /mnt/gentboot again and
    Code:
    ls /mnt/gentboot/boot -l
    and see if your kernel is there ...
    If it is not then mount your root partition at /mnt/gentoo again and
    Code:
    ls /mnt/gentoo/boot -l

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast